REPTILEMANIA video

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AGAMIDAE

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A one Hour documentry specail on the booming reptile industry..

I just watched it this morning, a must see

It is pretty amazing. It covers a lot of ground for a 1 hour presentation.

I was thinking about is last night as I was waiting for large rats to thaw of those nifty pre packaged rodents they show in indivdual microware ready packages. I wonder if that sort of product will every be available locally.

hahahaha...some of the breeders set ups are incredible....and the amount of animals they produce and sell just blew my mind

No sorry we dont...go to herptrader.com $20.00 worth every penne

yer i watched it the other day, definatly a good watch, and i agree the amount of animals produced was unreal. i wish we had reptiles shows like the one in the documentary here in australia, that would be great.

Next year in Melbourne, The 13th of May is officially scheduled in as Expo day in Melbourne!

I also got the dvd the other day and give it the thumbs up. Some amazing commercial operations going on O.S. I would love to go to some of the bigger U.S. expos but I think I would find it depressing seeing all those cool animals and not being able to take them home :wink:

It is a good DVD. I got it last friday from th Herp Shop. I have watched it 3 times now.

Must see.

The DVD just blew me away. I've re-watched it 4 times. I wonder if Australia will ever become like that. It is just such big business atleast the wild populations must be doing well with so many captive breds available in such a large scale. Impressive breeding facilities, a must for anyones collection and a bargin price.

i wonder with all the breeding if there are any more pure bred snakes left in that country. once again the american philosophy of bigger is better is now destroying pure bred animals and replacing them with inbreds

To me it is a bit like asking if there are any pure bred dogs.

The only way to guarantee wild breeds in a pure state is to protect their habitat, not only from destruction but also from feral animals and other contaminating factors.

Once you start breeding for captivity you are already tinkering with genetic influences as by controlling for breeding natural selectino cannot be taking pace. This is true now matter how well you control for locality etc.

It is also worth noting that while private breeders have a tendancy to select of different colour morphs and other characteristics the wild type genes are still largely there just masked by all the recessive genes that have been selected for. Breed all the offspring together at random and within a few generations I suspect that most of the animals will look like their wild type fore fathers.

GWEEDS said:
i wonder with all the breeding if there are any more pure bred snakes left in that country. once again the american philosophy of bigger is better is now destroying pure bred animals and replacing them with inbreds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back