Reptiles in PetShops - Don't get too excited

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petpages

Not so new Member
Reaction score
By now everyone will have heard the ‘good’ news that a very small number of reptiles will soon be allowed to be sold in pet shops in NSW. Well…..

What you may all not know is that we are all going to pay a very high price for that ‘privilege’

That high price comes in the form of minimum cage sizes being introduced and I believe this could destroy our hobby.

As you may have already read on the other thread, Minimum cage sizes are now in force and all NSW keepers have until the end of 2013 to comply. The announcement of reptiles in petshops was skilfully made at the same time to act as a smokescreen and keep our reaction to a minimum.

What does it mean ?

Well, it means that most reptiles keepers in NSW (yes, that means you ! ) will be law breakers by the end of the year unless they throw away their old cages and buy or make new ones to the ridiculously large dimensions required by the new code. Your average 12 year old kid with a beardie will be turned into a law breaker.

Now supposing you can afford to buy all new cages and throw your old ones out (because nobody will want to buy the old non-compliant ones) can you also:

1. Find lots of extra space in your house to put the new outsized enclosures ?
  2. Afford double or triple the power bills to heat the oversized enclosures ?
  3. Afford extra vet bills when your reptiles get respiratory infections from being too cold.

I doubt most of us can. So it will mean that we will have to get rid of some - or all - of our reptiles or we will be breaking the law.

The justification for these dramatic increases in cage sizes makes no sense to me and I doubt the people who dreamed up these laws have any practical experience at captive reptile husbandry. It’s a ‘feel good’ political decision and I don’t think we should stand for it.

I think we should start an online petition.

Actually, if National Parks are making our cages redundant (illegal) then they should be required to buy them all back - just like the gun buy back. We all bought our cages in good faith and some of us spent significant amounts of money.

I've noticed a lot of zoo's will be in breach of the new code with their off display enclosures for reptiles too.

first i have heard about this. This is absolutely ridiculous.
Can someone point me in the direction of the documents that give the new enclosure sizes.

I think everyone in NSW is getting a bit excited. Same thing has been in Victoria for as long as I can remember and I have never seen it enforced or ANYONE ever being fined because of breaching these so called laws!

I think everyone in NSW is getting a bit excited. Same thing has been in Victoria for as long as I can remember and I have never seen it enforced or ANYONE ever being fined because of breaching these so called laws!
They are for sure.. I think a lot are wearing tin foil hats.

I don't see how they can actually enforce this as many people have said they will probably not even make it to half of NSW reptile keepers to check there enclosures to me there just all talk and never do i can see so many people freaking out about this and spending loads of money on enclosures and they won't even turn up to make sure people have done the right thing.

Caleb.

i agree....... how are National Parks and Whoever they are going to enforce anything like what is talked about. .... Geez , they cant even process a license or an import/export permit due to being under staffed. How are people going to find out about it anyhow....NPWS havnt got the time or money to send out specifications to every license holder , and i am sure that not everyone is on here reading these threads.
And , anyhow.....how are they going to inspect your cages if you dont answer the door.....????mmmmm.....

link isn't opening at work but I will try again when I get home.

I don't see how they can actually enforce this as many people have said they will probably not even make it to half of NSW reptile keepers to check there enclosures to me there just all talk and never do i can see so many people freaking out about this and spending loads of money on enclosures and they won't even turn up to make sure people have done the right thing.

Caleb.

Yeah I agree mate but if you are busted with enclosures that are not "correct" then surely there will be a huge fine to pay. My enclosures are set up perfectly and were set up according to the room they are housed in. If I have to change all of the enclosures it will be a huge pain and expense but better than not having peace of mind and worrying that anyday I could get a fine for not complying.

That's because in Victoria they aren't actually laws, only recommendations. They are not enforceable in VIC as they are now in NSW

Perhaps NSW has an agenda.... Like reducing the amount of animals a private keeper can keep. Larger enclosures means more space that some people do not have.

I've noticed a lot of zoo's will be in breach of the new code with their off display enclosures for reptiles too.

The COP states that reptiles held under licence for public exhibition, rehabilitation, education, conservation or scientific purpose are not subject to the code. Regardless of if they are actually on display or not, the animals are still listed under the same license.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back