Reptiles in PetShops - Don't get too excited

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this just a draft code of practice at this stage?

Recommendations are different from a law.

And how on earth would they police it, given relevant govt agencies are undermanned and generally pretty hopeless anyway.

Making this law...surely it would have no 'teeth'? (sorry about the pun) :)

Yeah I agree with that to mate i think i'm lucky enough that i only am going to have to build one new cage for one of my intergrades but then ill have her old enclosure with nothing in it then which gives me a good excuse to get a smaller species of some kind :)

Caleb.

Those python enclosure sizes seem fine to me. I would be ashamed of myself if i had my animals in anything smaller than they suggest. I don't know what the fuss is about.

The largest snakes on the list (Adult Olives and Scrubs) can be kept in a minimum of 5' by 2' enclosure. If your keeping them in less than that i think you should be held accountable. The rest of the enclosure sizes are even smaller than that.

Sorry but i have no sympathy for anyone on this subject, If you don't have the space for appropriately sized enclosures, you shouldn't have so many animals.

Last edited:
I think everyone in NSW is getting a bit excited. Same thing has been in Victoria for as long as I can remember and I have never seen it enforced or ANYONE ever being fined because of breaching these so called laws!

Are they just guidelines or enforcable regulations in Vic?

I think everyone in NSW is getting a bit excited. Same thing has been in Victoria for as long as I can remember and I have never seen it enforced or ANYONE ever being fined because of breaching these so called laws!
It is a guideline in Victoria and henceforth not enforceable, in NSW it will be mandatory.

no rcw,not a draft,its enforcable from now on,they just have an amnesty till mar14 to get enclosures up to spec

Thanks Jacorin. Interesting, but as said elsewhere, the requirements don't seem too onerous, most people would probably comply anyway...????

Enclosure makers must be happy though....

I agree that some of the python cages are reasonable, but it's not fair that this is law.
I'd sign a petition.

It is a guideline in Victoria and henceforth not enforceable, in NSW it will be mandatory.
So the Code of practice for keeping reptiles in Victoria is not law and only a recommendation but the Code of practice for keeping reptiles in NSW is law and not a recommendation!

Yeah, pretty much. It was a recommendation up until the passing it into law.

Anyone authorised to keep or sell wildlife must also comply with all requirements of the following Codes of Practice under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 which is administered by the Bureau of Animal Welfare (Department of Primary Industries).

That is strait from the DSE website under private wildlife licenses. The Code has been adopted under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and is law in Victoria.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Last edited:
Those python enclosure sizes seem fine to me. I would be ashamed of myself if i had my animals in anything smaller than they suggest. I don't know what the fuss is about.

The largest snakes on the list (Adult Olives and Scrubs) can be kept in a minimum of 5' by 2' enclosure. If your keeping them in less than that i think you should be held accountable. The rest of the enclosure sizes are even smaller than that.

Sorry but i have no sympathy for anyone on this subject, If you don't have the space appropriately sized enclosures, you shouldn't have so many animals.

I agree with Hamalicious!

Have I missed something? - What is the big deal with the new caging requirements?
If you are not keeping your reptile in at least those min size enclosure you shouldnt be keeping them at all IMO.

I for one am happy they have enforced this law,. I can't stand seeing how some of the Reptiles are housed these days!

I must admit I have not read the details front to back & have mainly focused on the Python enclosures & can't see any issues so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
The python cages are reasonable to an extent but there are circumstances where a python is better off in a smaller cage.
They should be based on the snakes size alone and not age.
The fact they ignored the herp societys and shut them out when they ALL disagreed against the cage regulations pretty much says it all.

The monitor cages are a joke.
I planned to keep my spencers in a pit when they are adult size but indoors over winter.
An adult trio will require a cage as big as my bedroom..... in which they will sleep curled up in a cave!
Monitor keepers have been given the short end of the stick in this deal and I agree the system needs to be looked at again by experienced keepers and not some suit with a tape measure.

Remember when they wanted to import those giant cats years ago and reptile keepers petitioned against it. Due to the high volume of opposition they were not allowed.

A petition may be a way to have our voices heard and if all the different societys in Aus (not just NSW) including zoos etc also got on board it might make the difference we need to have this reviewed.

This might only be in NSW now but whos to say other states might not follow suit

As long as you have the out door pit which is adequate size, i'm sure they would understand them being brought in during winter. Thats if you even got checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back