Richmond, Virginia, U.S., small unexpected find

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viaaf

Reaction score
This afternoon while I was at my girlfriend's I took a trashcan outside to wash it. The hose is by the driveway and there are some pieces of slate laying on the gravel.
viaaf-albums-more-of-my-photos-picture10075-this-is-where-i-found-the-salamanders.jpg

While the water running I looked under one of the pieces of slate for sowbugs. There weren't any there, sort of odd since the weather was warm enough to expect some. Then I flipped a small piece of slate, about the size of my hand. Underneath were two salamanders! Both were about 3" long but different species. The one I'm sure of is the redback salamander, Plethodon cinereus.
viaaf-albums-more-of-my-photos-picture10076-redback-salamander-found-11feb09.jpg

The other I think is a slimy salamander, Plethodon glutinosus. That ID is sort of a fallback, they look pretty much the same and the range is right.
viaaf-albums-more-of-my-photos-picture10077-slimy-salamander-found-11feb09-id-is-tentative.jpg

There are a few that I think this resembles more. Their ranges are a hundred or more miles away so the slimy is a safer bet.
This isn't a paticularly dramatic adventure, not even for me. It is a reminder to keep your eyes open, nature doesn't have to be someplace far away.

Awesome find. very cute little salamanders. well spotted. thanks for sharing.

While I think that Australia has the most interesting critters in general, there are certain groups of animals that I'd love to see. Salamanders and caecilians (no, not [video=youtube;TUee1WvtQZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUee1WvtQZU[/video], this one) would have to be up there for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Stewart

Glad you enjoy this. I have been told that the two salamanders are the same species. They are redbacks, Plethodon cinereus. One is a normal, the other is the "lead back" phase.
All this learning, I'm ready for a beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back