Ridge tail monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
hi all,
im after a care sheet, now i now there was one one here not long age (i think it was even from simon) but i cant find it can someone help me find it of can some one help me.

thanks and sorry for being a pain.

thanks
ashley

RE: Re: RE: Ridge tail monitors

Basking spot of 55-70 degrees celcius (before anyone asks....yes I'm serious, no it's not too hot, yes they need it). Ambient temp of around 25-28 degrees. Nighttime minimum of 25-28. 10-12 hours of light each day.

Feed them every day for juveniles....crickets, roaches, mealworms, flies, dog food, roo mince, etc. Older lizards can eat small mice, quail and also need larger insects to supplement the diet appropriately. They should be fed every 3-4 days or so, depending on meal size as they are older.

Sand as substrate...keep fresh cold water at the cool end. Dump some water on the substrate every 4 days or so to aid shedding...or you could mist either way.

Unless you're certain that the monitor is already used to being handled, use a top-opening enclosure...they are very good at running straight past you. A hatchling will easily escape through the gap in sliding glass doors...if you manage to block it off, it will simply run past you when you open the doors.

Above all...
Keep it HOT / Feed them plenty

...and you get the idea :)

Simon Archibald

Oh and just quietly...I think you'd be much better off getting some Blackheaded Monitors...everyone has ackies...you want something you don't see EVERYday ;-)

Simon Archibald

you want something you don't see EVERYday
Thats cause they always hide when you walk in the room Simon. ;-)

you want something you don't see EVERYday
Thats cause they always hide when you walk in the room Simon. ;-)

I agree, Tristis are much better!

Tell him he's dreamin....LOL ;-) :D

Ackies are much better and they also tame down a lot better than tristis. All my ackies are handleable and are always out and about in the enclosure and they don't run and hide as much as tristis does....:)

They need and enclosure of 4x2x2 in size. A really hot hot spot as Simon has said, but also a cool end of around 28-30 for them to escape the heat if necessary. They also love pink mice/rats, chicken and turkey mince and boiled eggs.

Where do people buy there sand from? Do you have to use special reptile sand or could you get it from a building supplies place or something along those lines??

Cheers Alex

Bagged sand from building supplies or brickies sand. Brickies is great cause it's red and also clumps excellent foor digging.

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back