Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep 12 ackies at the moment and have never had one try and tear me apart. Guess Im lucky that all mine are handleable.

The best way to go is get yourself a trio.

They are pretty hard to sex when young and some of my yearling are abit hard but once you know what to look for they are easy when larger

yeah i gotta bredli, butt when they breed like say i have 2 males and a female will they fight?

cause then i gotta gett rid of him :(
and will the tank be big enough?

I'll talk from experience and honesty right now.

If i were you i would buy one of the species that you really like. Keep it for a year, work out all the husbandry and health requirements, all the ins and outs and then think about breeding them. I've gone gun ho in the past buying pairs of reptiles with the sole aim of breeding them and i've ended up disappointed. It's not that i didn't manage to breed them it's that i had a hard time selling hatchies and got bored with the species.

Ur only 15 and you've got heaps of time to do all these things. Take ur time, only work with the species that float your boat and don't be too concerned with breeding. Just because you managed to breed a species doesn't mean you know much or have alot of experience with them. Take your time, make sure you can look after your collection and have fun.

yeah i gotta bredli, butt when they breed like say i have 2 males and a female will they fight?

cause then i gotta gett rid of him :(
and will the tank be big enough?

Sorry didn't see this one. One will get picked on and will be smaller than the others but that's normal and not too much to worry about and they can still be housed together. It's only if it really starts getting torn to shreds that you need to intervene.

Yes they will, you can either separate or more the male on. When they are young regardless of what sex they are, they can fight. Its important if you have a group to separate the larger ones from the smaller ones. There are even reports of them killing each other, I haven't experienced this but it can happen so be observant on whats happening.

Ive had them fight over roaches and taken little nips on their snouts etc etc they heal pretty quick and not to worry about

i see your point mate, so maybe just i should buy two? so i can have 2 diffrent carrictors, could i keep a WA form and a diffrent one with him or is that a no go?

You could but I wouldn't advise it. But it just comes down to what you believe in.

P.S They are the same species just different localities.

yea i think ill take wakuies advice, i proble only grab one or two, and finding people to sell them two could be very hard. thanks guys!

ps whats the best set up for ridgies?

Large area for them to run around a few bits of slate or rock for them to hide under and an ackie stack under the heat source. Should set you right.

Here is something simple

bushfire-albums-ackies-picture5425-side-view-of-enclosure-with-lid.jpg

Details: 4ft X 2ft X 2ft. Houses a trio. The bulb is 13cm from the basking spot and reaches 70oC. As you saw on the first page they will bask directly under the bulb. As during winter it gets very cold where I live eg. snow I used to use floor heating for night time however the last winter I didnt bother and they went fine. The stacks of tile: 41cm X 41 cm; use the rough surfaced ones; five layers; had a 1cm gap between them with young ackies but as adults moved to a 2cm gap.
The substrate: 4cm thick layer of sydney sand
The nest / dig box: 15lt container with 5cm dia circle cut in top. 3/4 full 60% normal soil 40% sydney sand.

would they need a bigger space to dig when they're older?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back