Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been away for 2 weeks on holiday. Thankfully my yearling diamond, Eddy survived the sydney heat. I was very concerned and it did dampen my spirits a little on holiday.

Anyway, I basically went to Dorrigo ( just inland of coffs Harbour), Byron bay and finally Fraser Island. They are all reasonably snakie places but didn't see one live snake. :(

Saw some beautiful tree frogs in dorrigo - red eyes i believe. Also saw a roadkill tiger snake but didn't have my camera and my mum kept a dead rough scale she had found ( she put it in the freezer for me for a month - thanks mum! :) )

Saw a few water dragons playing golf at Byron bay which didn't excite me and a couple of lacies on Fraser.

Not exactly a herp fest but there you go. Maybe the sankes don't frequent the bars as much as i thought :) Here a few ordinary photos anyway. Thanks to all who recommened Fraser island. It really is an awesome ecosystem and worth a visit for every Aussie.

I'm crap at doing pictures so give me a moment to get them here

http://www.aussiepythons.com/module-pnGallery2-main-g2_view-core.ShowItem-g2_itemId-27442.html

Sorry I can't work out how to put the images in the post. I tried for about 15 minutes but can't get it tow work.
They're very mediocre photos anyway so not to worry.

:D

Hi Linus,

What a cool mum you've got. 8)

Where was the Rough-scaled snake found?

Good photos and what a great mum you have! Love them lacies, you see a lot of them when you camp at freshwater. (rainbow beach)

Hey Linus, great photos... look like you got pretty close to the lacie...

Very keen to go back to Fraser Island... just about to purchase a nice herp-mobile and will have to make a special trip me thinks....

thanks for sharing...

Where was the Rough-scaled snake found?

Hi Zen,

the rough scaled was found dead by my mum in her garden in Dorrigo. There's a lot of long grass and scrub around here house. She has had a couple of them there.

She found it with its head mostly removed - she sugggested from a bird strike but to be honest it looked like someone had it it with a shovel. Though of course after having had both her sons keeping snakes for the last 20 years she knows we would disown her for such an act. I have more photos of it but they are little graphic.

Alexr it would be nice to have a herp-mobile up there. We stayed at the resort and did a day trip so we were at the mercy of the driver which means we misssed most of the good bits I'm sure.

Thanks for that Linus.

Dorrigo eh! That's a great part of the world. 8) Good for herps.

I've found Roughies at Barrington, which is the most southern part of their range.
They were observed basking in trees, quite an unusual niche for Aussie snakes to occupy according to Prof Shine.
Have you ever seen them in trees or shrubs?.
:idea: I've often wondered why they hang out there. Possibly to snatch bids which form part of their diet or to catch more sun as they prefer moister shadier habitats. It's also a good vantage point to spot ground prey.

Curious habit. Cool snakes. Respect! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back