Rubbing face.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What?s the deal with my female Stimsoni last night for about a minute she was rubbing her face on her hide and a stick like a dog does on carpet.
Is this a sign of mites? She is not shedding and there is no sign she is going to shed.

I have seen her do it once before same with my male Stimson they are now 8 months old and eating fuzzies :)

Any ideas.

I think you have nothing to worry about. Probably your snake is just cruising around and trying to find a suitable choice of temperature by using her labial pits. Our pythons often do this, especially after a feed. :)

James,
As you have said that she has shed recently,it may well be nothing, but you are right, it could well be a sign of mites, so take her out and check him by running one hand down the whole length of her body and see if you get anything off, might also be worth putting her into your viv on newspaper for a while, if she isn't already, just to see if anything shows up.

Sometimes when snakes have mites they rub their faces and heads in discomfort, this can lead to mouth rot, especially if they are rubbing themselves on rough surfaces, so keep an eye out for that, open her mouth and take a wee look!

Of course it might be none of the above and simply your snake having an itch, but it's worth keeping an eye on her!

NCHERPS

HI James,I don?t think it?s mites, as one of my maccies used to do it quiet often I used to be petrified of mites, (still am) because it can be a sign of mites but she never had any.
She would also be soaking in her water dish and you would see little black things in there.
Take her out and check with a magnifying glass around the eyes and on her vent.
Cheers Artie

Thnx for the input guys I think she was having a scratch I can't see a thing on her :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back