Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miss2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
If a seller is rude does it put you off?

I guess it comes down to plain old customer service!
just yesterday I dealt with a seller who was very blunt and quite rude in his responses to me in regards to the animal I was looking to buy. He made it sound like I was bothering him by asking questions!
Needless to say even if I was desperate for the rep I would not purchase from him.

A couple of months ago I was selling one of my brood mares, a lady enquired who lived in qld and was unable to come down to view the horse but was very interested.
I pulled the girl out of the paddock, and filmed every aspect of handling, body, movements and temperament and sent it to the lady.
After all the time I put in the person didn’t go ahead with the sale as there was one or 2 things she did not like which was fine by me.
I would expect great service from someone so I would be more than willing to give it back in return!

Rant over BUT anyone else have any stupidly bad sales stories they want to sell?

If someone is rude it just means they don't want to sell to you.
Move on to someone who isn't rude.
Works for me :D

On another note , I just placed an add for snakes I am selling saying - I cannot hold them as I need to loot to buy another snake that is for sale now... and then I get PMs asking if I can hold the snakes I am selling until mid December :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure everyone here has THOSE kind of stories. (the OP, not Sclero)

I've sent PM's to members selling animals here that have never responded- then Ive had sellers who have taken a week to get back or not sent pics when they have said they would; and then when finally received they've said I have two hours to decide or the deal's off !!!!

Then there's the sellers who have been rude on the phone or pulled attitude or expressed how hard it is to sell; then there's sellers who don't answer the questions and then send the SAME pics they had on other ads....

But then again there are sellers here who it is a pleasure to deal with; who instill your sense of faith in humans- Ive made some great friends here after buying herps from them; and when all is said and done there is one f-wit for every 9 cool peeps; so harmony and balance in the universe is always restored.

Selling the occasional herp though you do receive some ridiculous offers, emails, and silly questions. Ive told peeps the animal is on hold, only for them to openly say they hope the guy doesnt turn up so they can score the reptile !! Haha uh huh like I'm going to call YOU !!!

It's all fun and games isn't it; but go take a look in any of your enclosures and you'll KNOW it's all worth it !

I reckon rude potential buyers far far outweigh rude sellers.The amount of rubbish sellers have to deal with these days is astounding.

Sellers are generally rude because by the time you sell one snake you've sent 1000 emails, extra photos, in depth husbandry discussions, been abused ignored and haggled with and you just generally end up assuming everyone wanting to buy from you is an obnoxious halfwit. Which turns out to be true 90% of the time.

Not that I'm bitter...

Sellers are generally rude because by the time you sell one snake you've sent 1000 emails, extra photos, in depth husbandry discussions, been abused ignored and haggled with and you just generally end up assuming everyone wanting to buy from you is an obnoxious halfwit. Which turns out to be true 90% of the time.

Not that I'm bitter...
lol

I reckon rude potential buyers far far outweigh rude sellers.The amount of rubbish sellers have to deal with these days is astounding.

I totally agree but one of those rude buyers might just spend a lot of money. Being in customer service for donkey years, I never take them personally. And find that the ruder the person, the nicer I am to them:))) By the end they usually change their tune.

Once I was involved in party planning. Got to a house, where there was this woman, dressed in boggan clothing and was quite rude and looked uninterested. By the end of the night I was quite blown away when she bought the most expensive pack! Over $1500 worth! Just shows, how a bit of effort on my part made the sale.

But yes I still expect the same from other sellers. Customer service has gone down hill these days :-(

Meh it's no different to ANY retail transaction; there are rude people everywhere. At the end of the day when you sell something you have to expect things aren't going to be smooth sailing. Sellers need to remember that it's the seller that is SELLING/PROMOTING/ADVERTISING.

None of us want to hand over money to someone who doesn't show respect. Sometimes the seller thinks he is doing the buyer a favour. It doesn't work like that. Competition is fierce; and I'll happily pay a little more to a cool cat than get a great deal from a seller who thinks I owe him/her a living.

Online sales are WAY easier than a personal sale- I still answer the silly questions and rudeness with honest and respectful answers. It's called professional courtesy; it is no less important or valid or REQUIRED whether it's a cruisy thread on APS or a big $$ contract with a client. Some sellers here seem to think because this is an informal market that the courtesy and professionalism necessary to nail the deal is moot. Well guess what.....it requires the same, if not MORE mental exertion to write a smartass response or pull attitude than to reply quickly and quietly to a buyer regardless of their approach.

Maybe the seller needs to realise that in the eyes of the buyer "... by the time you FIND one snake you want to buy, you've requested 1000 times for extra photos that have never come, asked in depth husbandry questions in order to ensure you do the best by your reptile, have been abused, ignored and haggled with and blah blah blah......"

Not that I'm bitter...:)

2 way street man.

i was due to pick an animal up one saterday from sydney and at 11pm on friday i got a txt saying he wanted double what our deal was. i ended up not getting it and saying a few choice words to the seller and found another specimen and get him the next week:)
Eddie...

Customer service is something that I would personally expect from someone who makes a living from sales, but would expect a lot less of from someone who just uses sales to prop up their income. In saying this there is no excuse for rudeness during a sale, but I just don't expect great customer service from a private seller. Take eBay for instance... so many rude, rude people selling items there. I also think that when it comes to customer service, you either possess the skill, or you don't. You can fake it for a bit, but believe me after a while this wears thin. I was in retail for years... made it to operations manager for a chain of eight stores (won't say which one), but I had to fake customer service every step of the way. I hated customers with a passion. I found them annoying, crude, and at times just downright stupid. It's the reason I left the industry in the end... with my attitude I just had no place being in retail, as I am a strong supporter of the idea that if a salesperson is rude to you, you simply walk out and take your sales elsewhere! I can't think of a reason I didn't send more people running when I was in the stores.

A problem exists however is when the seller has something that you simply wont find easily anywhere else. Then, you either stand on principal and go without the item, or suck it up, grit your teeth and accept the fact that this guy is a major prat that you have to put up with until you receive what you're after... then hope to hell that you can find someone else who can assist with after sales queries... I guess it just depends on how much you want the item in question.

I know for a fact that when it comes time for me to finally acquire that five-ringed brown snake I've always wanted, the guy I'm buying it off could be an absolute ********, and he'd still get the sale ;)

Yep well said man- the dreaded grey area ! It's a tough one- I qualify those kind of decisions with "I'm really the one laughing" when you have to suck it in and pay the fiddler. ;)

It can be very annoying.

First is a story about trying to sell and animal;
I had somebody call, asking about the animal, with a tonne of questions, and I happily answered all questions, in depth. They asked if they could come out to have a look.
That was fine. They spent half an
hour, looking at the animal, and
handling the animal, and seeing the rest of my collection. Just to say, "I will go home to ask the wife how funds are going, and I will get back to you." I knew they wouldn't be interested in a purchase that day, but not to even hear back from them, even if it was to be honest and let me know that they don't have the cash. It's just plan old annoying, especially when you have someone that wanted that animal as soon as possible..

Next was when I was first getting into geckos, one of the geckos died, unknown reasons. So I was seeking for a young male.
I found a seller, and once i got there, straight away I knew that all they wanted was money and a sale. They didn't even tell us about the animal, it's age, eating schedule, all the basic stuff, and when we said that it was a little small for my female (looked way to young), they didn't even say thanks for coming, or communicate with us. So when we left, their wasn't even a goodbye. If there was some kind of more formal communication, I think I would have gotten the animal, even if it was a month or two old. It was quite a stunning one.

Yeah, fair enough- there Are a lot of numbskulls selling, too. Including those who have been in the game for a long time and should know better.
Not that I would ever point the finger(HAHAHA), but sellers like He Who Shall Not Be Named who seem to take great delight in stuffing people around do a great disservice to guys like Baden, Roger and Michael who have earned their reputations.
I wouldn't put myself in that company, but up until last year I was selling clutches from four species of colubrid at ridiculously low prices just because I didn't need them. When you offer someone a bright blue snake for $200 and they ask for $50 off it just makes you die a little inside.

Oh yes PL I hear ya- in trying to sell our big albino male we were offered:

• a pair of blueys,
  • a couple of pair of gex,
  • a coastal and some worms

.....sometimes you cant help but laugh !!

And then kill m--------s.

ps- say his name say his name

hahha like we dont KNOW he who shall not be named ;) My wife has had to stop me from jumping on a plane down south with a machete a couple of times teehee

oh who who? pm me and tell me who you think? now you have me curious lol

I had made an inquiry about some very nice reduced pattern het darwins that were advertised on a lady's website before I got sick.
I got absolutely no reply back which I thought was strange because we hadn't shared cross words and had actually given her sincere compliments on her website.

I can only put it down to the fact she didn't want to sell to me.
There's not much you can do about situations like that even if they leave you more than a bit puzzled.

Do you ever think that because your email has not been answered, that the person is away for a period of time? That person may of had to jump on a plane at a second's notice to visit a dying relative? That person may have actually passed away or been killed in an accident?
Just food for thought.

A problem exists however is when the seller has something that you simply wont find easily anywhere else. Then, you either stand on principal and go without the item, or suck it up, grit your teeth and accept the fact that this guy is a major prat that you have to put up with until you receive what you're after... then hope to hell that you can find someone else who can assist with after sales queries... I guess it just depends on how much you want the item in question.

I know for a fact that when it comes time for me to finally acquire that five-ringed brown snake I've always wanted, the guy I'm buying it off could be an absolute ********, and he'd still get the sale ;)
I agree with you here but a thing to do is just check the animal for sale for any health problems then up and go as quick as possible, pretty much in and out then you don't have to deal with the rude dicks that come with private sales :)
Apologies for the bad word but I think it fits in this thread :p

Rude sellers and buyers are not going to enjoy this hobby for too long, so don't worry about them. Say a few polite words (no need to lower yourself to their level) and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back