salamanders in pet shops?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you give them heat I'm pretty sure that they die.

wow this is interesting. I am a breeder and know a little about axolotls and obviously your lps are either il informed or just complete rip offs, Axolotls should not be morphed the procedure in which to make them morph is is extremely life threatening most cases the axie doesnt make it and reduces their life span to only a few of years when they can live for over 20yrs in captivity in their normal for. If anything they are risking us being able to keep axolotls as salamanders are not legal here in australia (which is why axies are so popular australia wide) and it is not good for the animals health it should be illegal to morph them. And if they are to be sold they should be dirt cheap, please dont buy them and encourage further breeding, think of the poor axies!!!:cry:
Axolotls are neotonic meaning they reach adult form withought having to become land dwellers and can even reproduce in this form.
the way they do it is with thyroid feeding just like people do to tadpoles to create fly sized frogs(I cant imagine this is good for the frog either).
Regards,
Nina

They are just mature axolotols. In either form they are deemed too much of a danger to enter the NT.
That is so funny ! Used to keep them and breed them in Vic in the 90's. To be honest, they probably wouldn't survive a summer inland or in the tropics at all in the top end let alone in the wild. You are allowed to keep cats up there and they do extremely well. I lost my untire colony on a hot Melb day and never bothered with them again.

It leaves you wondering what type of pet shop would sell salamanders in the first place. Regardless of the legalities it just does not seem to be the sort of business that people who care for animals would want to have a hand in.

I dont know anything about them , but if morphing is part of there natural cycle why not let them forfill their full life cycle ?

Cheers nico

I dont know anything about them , but if morphing is part of there natural cycle why not let them forfill their full life cycle ?

Cheers nico

Its not natural if you have to force them to do it with chemicals and/or poor living conditions

Is it right to keep them in a clean fish tank that is not the same conditions as there natural habitat ? If there natural habitat let's them forfill their full life cycle maybe the keepers are in the wrong for not replicating it ?

Cheers nico

Naturally, they don't metamorph into a salamander or newt. The larval form that you see them in is how they stay. They are one of few amphibians that remain in their larval form.

If an axolotl has a thyroid problem is it wrong to give them thyroxine?

If they have" yellow spots" and are $450ea they are not Axolotls , LOL

don't waste your money, honestly its stupid forcing a animal to evolve when not needed risking its like for no reason

I think you perception of evolution and metamorphosis is ....... hmm, you know what. Risking the animal's life (I assume that;s what you meant)? What's risky about it?

wow this is interesting. I am a breeder and know a little about axolotls and obviously your lps are either il informed or just complete rip offs, Axolotls should not be morphed the procedure in which to make them morph is is extremely life threatening most cases the axie doesnt make it and reduces their life span to only a few of years when they can live for over 20yrs in captivity in their normal for. If anything they are risking us being able to keep axolotls as salamanders are not legal here in australia (which is why axies are so popular australia wide) and it is not good for the animals health it should be illegal to morph them. And if they are to be sold they should be dirt cheap, please dont buy them and encourage further breeding, think of the poor axies!!!:cry:
Axolotls are neotonic meaning they reach adult form withought having to become land dwellers and can even reproduce in this form.
the way they do it is with thyroid feeding just like people do to tadpoles to create fly sized frogs(I cant imagine this is good for the frog either).
Regards,
Nina

Nina, I would be really interested to see references in primary literature to: "morph is is extremely life threatening".

Last edited:
Axos do not naturally morph. They are not like any other salamanders out there. To do it you have to add chemicals to thier water as others have said and if it doesnt kill them it shortens thier lifespan. Also, Axos don't need heat, they need cold. They will die if the water gets hot. If they had to morph as part of thier lifecycle then they would not be able to reproduce in larval form. Forcing the change is dangerous. I think Axos are also the only legal non-native amphibian in Aust, tho I could be wrong on that.

Nina, I would be really interested to see references in primary literature to: "morph is is extremely life threatening".

Here is one mentioning heavy mortality in younger animals
A study of induced metamorphosis in the Axolotl - Prahlad - 2005 - Journal of Experimental Zoology - Wiley Online Library

This one notes a change in the immune system and a decrease in white blood cells which may also be of interest
Effect of Induced Metamorphosis on the Immune System of the Axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum 10.1006/gcen.1995.1031 : General and Comparative Endocrinology | ScienceDirect.com

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up , they are interesting little creatures that's for sure , I have always wanted 1 but I'm not 100% clear on there needs , might be time to look into it .
so in the wild do they only resort to morphing as a life saving last resort ?
Cheers nico

In asking for the science Michael got me interested :)

Here is another paper that is a pretty good read for those interested in the topic. Again it mentions deaths and metamorphic failure among the sample population but interestingly makes statements about the genetics of captive populations (including possible hybridization) and how this effects metamorphosis compared to wild animals.

http://www.eve.ucdavis.edu/shafferlab/pubs/VossMolEcol2000.pdf

Very interesting, thanks for that. That never occurred to me that the captive population could be genetically compromised. I wonder how much input from the wild there has been in the past.

Good question! I have no idea. My guess would be not a lot though as they are critically endangered in the wild. I read a source (BBC - Earth news) that mentions survey work suggesting there are only between 700 and 1200 axolotls remaining in the wild. It didn't reference the survey work though so nothing to link.

In that case it spells a bleak future for the genetic vigor of our reptiles. LOL

Indeed. If no new blood comes in.... The fact that the sales sites are always full of adds for the Extremerlius raremosi from three quarters along 'dondgyness creek' in south western whatever state has me thinking that we may be a little safer here. At least for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back