Salamanders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys grow up. Axolotls naturally morph into salamanders in the wild. In their natural habitat there is a mineral/chemical/salt that causes them to morph. In other water it isn't possible, hence the reason for axolotls maturing and breeding.

I'm guessing they are morphed axolotls.

mcloughlin2 i was under the same impression. i guess reading all the other threads and having people reply to my for sale add asking if they are morphed axies or true sallies i got myself confused.

Guys grow up. Axolotls naturally morph into salamanders in the wild. In their natural habitat there is a mineral/chemical/salt that causes them to morph. In other water it isn't possible, hence the reason for axolotls maturing and breeding.

I'm guessing they are morphed axolotls.

Think you need to do a little more research before taking the high ground.

Jordan

They are about 5 or 6 inches long.

It's a metamorphosed Axolotl, and yes, these do very much count as true salamanders. Axolotls don't metamorphose in the wild. The ability to reproduce as a sexually precocious larvae evolved (devolved?) as a way to speed up reproduction and avoid an unnecessary reliance on dry land. It is extremely rare for Axolotls to spontaneously metamorphose in captivity, but using hormones it's pretty easily induced. Most people do it in a bad way (I'm not going to describe good and bad methods for risk of encouraging people to do it) and the metamorphosed animals typically have poor health and don't live for long. If done properly they can be healthier and live longer, but still won't thrive as well as natural neotenic larvae. The salamanders are also pretty boring pets compared to the natural type.

Axolotls are legal to keep and breed in Australia. Not so long ago you could keep other amphibians, but Axolotls are now the only one.

Noo.. Axolotls are neotenic salamanders - they attain sexual maturity in a quasi-larval form, eliminating the need to metamorphose into terrestrial salamanders.. Physiologically, however they could in theory be capable of doing so, but the fact is they already have 2 pseudo-larval stages when the paired appendages grow.. and adding another stage isn't in their nature.

As Sdaji said, hormones might do the trick, but it'd be pretty much like pumping high oestrogen levels into a man - pretty stressful for the system, and just not natural!

Axolotls are legal to keep and breed in Australia. Not so long ago you could keep other amphibians, but Axolotls are now the only one.

And frogs of course :p

i need someone to tell me what they were not another legallity or morality thread. there is 2 or 3 of those already. does anyone know for sure or can you not tell if they are morphed or true?
it is a Morphed you can tell by the Pics cecause there is a Left over gill On it:(

how big are they Ewan?
morphosed axolotls would be much larger than alpine salamanders. plumper individuals may well be females. mature males would have larger swollen cloacae than females(vent area)
heres a link to some pictures of the alpine salamander
http://www.herp.it/SpeciesPages/SalamAtra.htm

looking at some pics of the Santa Cruz Black Salamander, they appear to be more long bodied than your girls.

Hi guys thanks for joining the thread and helping me out. Nickvelez they are approx 20cm long and are both female (no swollen vent). I have had many equiries about them but still no takers.

Hi guys thanks for joining the thread and helping me out. Nickvelez they are approx 20cm long and are both female (no swollen vent). I have had many equiries about them but still no takers.

I dunno about that, W.T.BUY. I'm pretty sure it's also illegal to force Axolotls to morph.

Morphed Axo's aren't true Salamanders, anyway.

There have been plenty of these for sale in QLD,Miss B, what makes you think axolotls aren't true salamanders????

wat r the difference between salamanders and lizards. yes i know....stupid question

Salamanders are amphibians like frogs, lizards are of course reptiles.

i read up on morphng them a while ago. they explained a very stressful method of lowering water etc. which eventually kills most individuals.

if pet shops are selling morphed individuls in multple amounts, i would assume hormones are used..

if it is infact true that naturally they can morph.. then why would is be so harmful to allow them to do so with the help of hormones etc. that apparently occur naturally.

ive kept axo's before, but the salamander moprh looks much more fun. they do still swim and live in moist habitats. i would be left gobsmacked to see how gills turn into lungs tho..

morphedaxolotl.gif

ambystoma_mexicana_morphed_leucistic.jpg

I have bred axolotls by the bucket load, cool creatures

BUT it is not stressful for them to metamorphosis some just choose to do it and can even start to change but dont complete the morph and just change back.

Usually they morph when the salts in the water get high this causes the axolotl's thyroid to produce higher levels of thyroxine which will induce metamorphosis. i kept mine in a bath outside and when i went away some times the water would evaporate to about 6 inches and id usualy come home to a salamander :shock:

This can also be achieved by adding the CORRECT amount iodine to the water, Not medical iodine BUT Iodine used in SW aquariums. Tthere is no real need to do this though spawning them as salamanders is alot harder and they produce less eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back