Savannah cats banned

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpetcleaner

Reaction score
Thinking back to the recent debate I thought some people may be interested in this little tidbit of news posted on NineMSN this morning...

Environment Minister Peter Garrett has banned savannah cats from Australia, saying they pose an extreme risk to native animals and the environment.
Fairfax says that after receiving more than 500 submissions on the issue, Mr Garrett said he would change the legal definition of "domestic cat" to rule out cats with the genes of the African wildcat, the serval.
That means no savannah cats, Fairfax says.
"On all the evidence that I have seen, the risks associated with allowing this cross-bred cat into the country, when we already have up to 12 million feral cats wreaking havoc on native fauna, are simply too great," Mr Garrett said.
"That is why I have banned the import of these cats immediately."
An assessment commissioned by the government found that the savannah cat posed an extreme threat to native wildlife, with a likelihood that each generation would retain the more efficient hunting traits of the wild African serval.
Mr Garrett said he would "not hesitate" to use his powers under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act to prevent the live import of any species or breed that poses a significant risk to the environment or wildlife.
"My role as federal Environment Minister is to make decisions based on the best possible outcome for the Australian environment," Mr Garrett said.

Well at least the government is doing something right

Great news, lets hope that anybody found with them get automatic gaol time and the animal destroyed.

What I find amazing, and this is a good outcome, but the people that have been 'disadvantaged' by this decision actually thought they're doing no wrong. And I bet they still would argue that these cats are fine to come into the country...

Well, a positive decision made.

Maybe just have the cat under lock and key.. i dont know about destroying it.. seems a bit harsh when the animal isnt at fault.

Thats great....But what about the ones already here??? Doesn't say anything about what happens to them only says you can't import any more..

Ben

They have banned importing them , what about the animals already here . l know someone that has one [ not desexed ] and plans to breed and sell .

bump73 I was wondering the same thing myself. I know that there is a breeder in Queensland and I think another in Victoria. I wonder what will happen to their existing breeding program they have spent vast amounts of money importing into the country already? Do they get put down or exported? Makes you wonder doesn't it?

yay there doing something good for a change but the killing idea dunno103............................................i don't think so i think that would be a little to harsh

What a great outcome! It's good to see that grassroots action can really achieve something!

Are the ones that are already here definitely Savannahs? I know there are a couple of other types of wildcat cross who have previously been allowed in to Australia. I though this legislation was to decide whether Savannahs could be imported or not - it seems odd that there was this much fanfare around it, if they had previously been imported anyway...

Whoo hoo. The people have had a win.

At long last the Federal Government has finally heard the people.

Interesting... His site hasn't been updated. All it says is that there will be a review....
http://www.petergarrett.com.au/560.aspx

Hope they actually HAVE been banned.

Hey Tatelina, my guess is that as he only made the announcement yesterday, it wont appear until tomorrow.
I tried to get in touch with Tony Peacock about it, but cant get a hold of him.

As for the cats already being here? I dont think thats correct? There are Bengals? There is only A1 Savannahs in the US, and Sav Cats Aust had an exclusive agreement in place with them. The Melb breeders someone mentioned had a secondary agreement with Savannah Cats Aust.

But yeah. It's a great victory! I only found out just before lunch from an article on Eco Radio on local station 4ZZZ. The announcer said "the impetus came from a collective of reptile-lovers on an Australian snake website..." Which site would that be? :rolleyes:
From all of us, snakerescue.com, Tony Peacock and Rick Shine to the thousands of people who joined in, it's a great thing.

Of course, now it will be protracted legal action etc etc....:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back