Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salebrosus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm at work at the moment and i need to know what the scale counts for a Green Tree Snake, Brown Tree Snake, Rough Scaled Snake and a Keelback are please.

I don't have my reptile books with me and i have just had a pile of skins dropped off on my work desk from some terrified workmates who want them Id'd.

Can someone help me out please.

Cheers.

If it's not one of these you can post the counts of your skins.

Stewart

Brown tree snake:
Dorsal scales at midbody 19 to 23
Ventrals 225 to 265
Subcaudals 85 to 130
Subcaudals are Divided
Anal scale Single

Keelback:
Dorsal scales at midbody 15 to 17
Ventrals 130 to 165
Subcaudals 50 to 85
Subcaudals are Divided
Anal scale Divided

Common tree snake:
Dorsal scales at midbody 13 to 15
Ventrals 180 to 230
Subcaudals 90 to 150
Subcaudals are Divided
Anal scale Divided

Rough-scaled snake:
Dorsal scales at midbody 23
Ventrals 160 to 185
Subcaudals 50 to 60
Subcaudals are Single
Anal scale Single

Green Tree Snake, Dendralaphis punctulata - Scales smooth in 13 (rarely 11 or 15 )rows with vertebral series enlarged. Anal & subcaudal scales divided. Loreal scales present.

Brown Tree Snake, Boiga irregularis - Scales smooth & weakly glossed, in 19-23 midbody rows; vertebral row enlarged & hexagon shaped. Anal scale single & subcaudals divided. Loreal scales present.

Rough Scaled Snake, Tropidechis carinatus - 23 midbody rows, Anal & subcaudal scales single.

Keelback,Tropidonophis mairii - Scales strongly keeled in 15 midbody rows. Anal & subcaudal scales divided. Loreal scale present.

All this is taken from A complete guide to Reptiles of Australia, Steve Wilson, Gerry Swan

Thanks a million Stewart.

Two of them had 15 dorsal scales at midbody, one was defaintely a Rough Scaled Snake and the other that i was stumped on had 13 and divided anal scale, so obviously a Green Tree Snake.

Thanks heaps for the info.

All this is taken from A complete guide to Reptiles of Australia, Steve Wilson, Gerry Swan

I think i need a copy of it in my work desk to be honest.

Thanks Kyro and Stewart and to jamgo who PM'ed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back