Scale rot on a BTL

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggster

Reaction score
My 12 year old Bluey is just starting to come out of his own hibernation (I had left all heating on, but he decided to sleep away his time under the cold parts until I let him be) and as I noticed he had been moving around (I noticed mounds of his Kritter Krumble having been moved) I decided I'd best give him a quick once over to make sure he's not lost too much condition.
He was looking great- other than one browned scale (on his usually pale grey) scale just over his mouth. Looks like scale rot to me, and I immediately set him up in a seperate tub with some clean towels, small water bowl and a temporary heat pack (it's midnight right now, I'll be able to get a more permanent heat supply in the morning).
I dabbed on some Betadine on the scale and the immediate area, then put a little antibiotic cream on top of that and have left him to be for tonight.
My google search has said I should soak him in a Betadine solution, but I feel that's a bit overkill for one scale, and for the water to even reach that scale I'd have to hold his head under the water, so no...
ill be clearing out his terrarium and cleaning the whole thing up some time this week before I put him back in there.

any other recommendations?

You need to post photos if you want useful advice. One scale does not sound like "scale rot." And scale rot is usually a belly thing, not high & dry over the mouth. Unless it's red and inflamed and showing signs of infection, you should probably leave it alone as it may just be a single damaged scale which will be repaired at the next shed. If you don't know what you're looking at, please don't take action which may, at best be ineffective, or at worst harmful.

Jamie

You need to post photos if you want useful advice. One scale does not sound like "scale rot." And scale rot is usually a belly thing, not high & dry over the mouth. Unless it's red and inflamed and showing signs of infection, you should probably leave it alone as it may just be a single damaged scale which will be repaired at the next shed. If you don't know what you're looking at, please don't take action which may, at best be ineffective, or at worst harmful.

Jamie

My brain definately does not work at anywhere near as well as it should at 1 in the morning! I really should have posted a photo, but it must have slipped my mind.

The scale was almost completely brown and kind of folded(?) inward. The scale wasn't loose, and all other scales around it seemed normal.

I was able to do 3 more rounds of Betadine and antibiotic cream (morning, afternoon and about 10 mins ago), and the scale looked almost completely normal when I went to check on him just before (so I can't really take a picture any more!). Now only just a very faint brown outline around the scale (and he definately did not drop the scale, I've got him in an empty tub)

http://m.imgur.com/pOztwQG

^ That's just a Google image I found, but the highlighted area around the lizard's mouth is pretty much the same as what my guy had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back