scale rot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowninja

Reaction score
[HELP][/HELP]Hi, I was concerned about by python having scale rot , it's belly was red, flaky, dry, and looked like the scales were "dying", but it wasn't getting worse. I started bathing him in a betadine solution which did nothing, and changed the substrate from breeders choice kitty litter (paper pellets) to newspaper, which seemed to stop it from getting worse. since then he has shed perfectly other then a couple head scales, and its cleared up completely, other then what seems to be a little scarring. He also had bits of the breeders choice on he belly, which was under the shed (what I thought could have been mites). I was wondering if the breeders choice getting under the scales could have caused infection, or if shedding can clear up scale rot, or if he still has it?

He is eating and moving around fine, and he's living conditions have been cleaned regularly, and got dirty.

Last edited:
[MENTION=40090]Meowninja[/MENTION] please take your python to a vet for treatment.

[MENTION=40090]Meowninja[/MENTION] that's very good to hear :) Sorry I can't offer any advice in the meantime, I hope you'll post the results after you've been to the vets.

Scale rot is caused through husbandry, (normally excessive humidity/damp in the enclosure)
I use breeders choice and newspape as my preferred substrates and have no problem with either.

More information may help others understand your problem a little easier.
Can you post pics?
What species of snake is it.
Temperatures. (This could be burns from under floor heating sources)
What type of heating
Water supply
Humidity

Anything that may help someone to help you.

From your explanation believe you are using a heat mat or cable that maybe too hot or not properly installed. This could be burning your animal.

It wouldn't be the substrate, it cant get under the scales as its just too big. As pauls said, the causes for scale rot are too wet in the enclosure... I'm talking like... dripping with condensation like what a GTP would live in. Also not cleaning enough and sitting in its own crap. My Darwin sometimes sits in her wee, but as soon as I notice it I clean her out and give her a quick rinse with some warm water to get the yuckies off. Pics will definatley help as it could be something else. Do a check for mites, they could be sucking the hydration out of her and possibly causing irritation. Any and all details are helpful, what you are feeding, how often. Type of heating, be it a light cord or a mat uncer the tank. If a mat are you using a ceramic tile on top of it, etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back