scale rot

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxdingo

Reaction score
My Brother-in-laws python has Scale Rot, (It has just ladded eggs about a month ago), what makes Scale Rot happen and how is the best way of fixing it. He was told to bath the snake in Benaden and told that it sould work. Is there any more that he can do to help the snake?

Bathe it in betadine and keep the enclosure absolutely spotless and dry as. Instead of a big waterbowl, but in a CUP of water, dry newspaper, and a plastic hidebox.

And tell him to look after his snakes properly!

i think it is bad husbandry mick.

From what I understand, it's where they get heat from above, but none from below. Dirty substrate also contributes. That's why I use a large, flat rock under the heat lamp, as it absorbs the heat as well, warming the snake from both sides. THe snakes seem to like it.

At least, that's my understanding of it..... I could be wrong (it happened once! Back in 1965, I think it was...NO! I'm wrong - it was 1968! Damn... now I've got to add 2004 to the list! :-( ) :)

Why would only getting heat from above cause scale rot?

I use nothing but a single globe in all my cages and i have never seen scale rot, stale, damp conditions will cause it with either cold or warm temps.

so to me that says bad husbandry. am i correct or completely wrong?

Scale rot is caused by high humidity, dirty cages, and cold, damp conditions. When its high humidity the scale rot will occur on the dorsal surface of the snake. With the other 2 causes it will affect the belly. Occasionally blisters of clear fluid can occur. It can be caused when a snake is constantly laying on a cold enclosure floor, with its heat coming soley from above. depending on the severity, scale rot causes the scales to die and turn into big scabs which peel off, leaving exposed skin. Scales are not known to regenerate but i have seen healthy scales surrounding the exposed skin change shape over time and grow over the wound. In any case, severe scars will always remain.

To fix the problem get the snake in a warm, clean and dry cage. Have the snake on newspaper, its the only substrate that wont irritate its scale rot sores. allow any scabs to peel off by themselves and expect the snake to go throw a couple of sheds in succession. I dont think any medication, ointments or baths will help that much. Snakes themselves are great healers.

Its bacterial. IIt can be caused by keeping in por hygenieic conditions or other factors that cause your reptile to lose condition. Poor general health and stress can also contribute. A small lesion on a snake in poor condition can lead to scale rot or canker.
Betadine solution(povodine iodine) or Chlorhexadine(chlorex)solution(2%) and what jonno said.

ps. remove any dead skin or flesh and dress the wound using a topical antiseptic paste and "opsite" or similar. Betadine cream is ok but Silvazine if you can get some.
We been finding better results with dressing wounds. They heal much faster.

Thanks people, I tell him what to do,
As for bad husbandry, it's his first snake and is still new to keeping a snake as I am. We live and learn! This is why I have jointed this site, because you learn so much from people that have been keeping snakes longer then yourself! Learn from others, thanks for your help people! :)

Peterescue, im wondering how on earth you can dress a wound on a snake? Are you talking actual dressing or just application of topical ointments?

santa_cookies4.thumb.gif

Its not that hard. If you have evr had a canula inserted in your wrist they put a clear plastic dressing that seals all the way round. I dint like the opsite one that much but there are a few other brands. They arent cheap, $2 to $3 each but they work well and are water resistant. They dont work on large areas but i do have bandaids that are 300 mm long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back