Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexahnder

Reaction score
What is your scariest ever reptile experience? Mine was when i found 2 young eatern browns under a rock at a friends house and my friend called his dad who promptly grabbed a stick and started whacking at them. I quickly stopped him and decided that i would catch them and give them to WIRES incase they were injured from being attacked with the stick. I grabbed a esky and tailed both of them and then put them in there. Once i got back to my house and calmed my mum down about the fact that i had a box that contained two deadly snakes. I called wires and someone came out and took them. Unfortunately one had to be euthenised as it had masssive internal injuries from being attacked by a stick but the other one was able to be released back into the wild :)

being strangled by my 8ft coastal, though luckily popp was there to save me (after he stopped laughing and realised i was serious),

Mine would have to be the time when I went to rescue a brown snake who had gotten itself caught in vegie protecting netting which is very fine strong netting a bit like thin fishing line. The snake was very entangled and the main entanglement was right up around its immediate neck.
The snake was furious about being tangled and was hissing and and writhing and striking and spitting venom everywhere. I held its head down with the jigger and my friend carefully snipped the netting away from the snakes neck area. I was sweating bullets because if I lost my grip of the neck, my friend would have been bitten for sure. The process of snipping away the netting took about 20 minutes because we had to be so careful.
After snipping the net away the snake just turned into an angel and slithered straight into my bag. Then we took him to the nearby bush and released him easily and watched him slither off! :)

Unfortunatly, mine doesn't have quite the happy ending for the snake as yours did.
I used to live in Darwin when I was about 6. Anyways, my family and I were all having dinner outside (ahh those balmy nights) and we had a sliding door that lead out to our veranda where we were eating. Sometime after we had started eating I was instructed to close the sliding door. I started to slide the door and in the process snapped the spine of a snake who had laid in the track of the sliding door. It immediatly went into attack mode and I was frozen with fear (By this time I had realised it was a brown snake) Next thing I know our rottweiler came bolting up from where she lay at my chair and killed the snake and probably saved me from getting bitten.

That was the scariest for me because not only was I in danger by my Rotty was aswell.

Saying that, the best experience I have had with snakes was at that same house in Darwin. We lived on 5 acres with the last acre being taken up with the start of a swamp. Our house was typical in Darwin and had brick pillars. Anyways, there was this wild Childrens python who used to move between the bricks in these pillars and come and "visit" us. We had 2 irds at the time and every now and then, a brave mouse (we had a galah and a sulpher crested cockatoo) would venture into the bottom of their cage, shortly followed by this childrens. However, once inside the cage the mouse was caught and our birds would become frantic because there was this snake in the bottom of their cage with a large lump in his body resembling a mouse. The snake would then let us take off the bottom of the cage and put it in the bush for a bit so that he could enjoy his meal and then leave.

Amy

My scariest experience would be walking down to the stables after feeding my horses, and finding a red-bellie entangled in this green netting stuff that was sewn into the ground to stop erosion. It was quite funny actually as I had a friend with me and we were in an interesting conversation. I continued to talk and then puased for my friends point of view and there was no answer. I turned around to see my friend as white as a ghost and shivering behind a shrub. I went to see what was up and low and behold. We were the only ones there and the snake was begining to bleed and loops of twine got tighter and tighter. So me and my friend rescued the thing ( she got the pleasure of cutting the twine ) while I held the head down with my pocket snake hook ( we had just been to kellyville pets, thank God) WE then got it into a feed bag and dropped it off at a good friend of my fathers who does WIRE work. I dont know what happened to it but they said they were going to use it in a demonstration on how to handle/rescue venomous snakes...

My experience seems to be much like Pinkies. I guess that goes to show what netting can really do to our environment....

I carry my pocket snake hook whenever I go to the horses now :D

Without a doubt when my angle headed dragon got stuck on the flouro and I thought he was gonna die :(

Yeah well, I was canoeing down the Amazon once when an Anaconda came into the canoe and started to strangle me and dragged me over into the water. I had to wrestle the Anaconda for a full 10 minutes underwater before freeing myself with the aid of my trusty knife that I held in a sheath in my belt. The blood in the water attracted a school of Piranah while I was still in the water.................but that is a story for another day.

Ow! The same sort of thing happened to me once gregory. I was skiing down the amazon river ( I think i saw you...) And all of a sudden I felt a strong pain in my leg, looked down to see a croc snapped tight onto my leg. Lots of blood, which attracted more crocs. So I only have 1 leg half an arm and a chunk outta my side, 3 fingers and an ear., while lying on the bank ( A galapogas turtle rescued me) in a pool of blood all I could see was a camera stuck in my face and "CRIKEY!"

There aren't crocs in the amazon. There are caimens and possibly american alligators. GAlapogas tortises aren't found in the amazon either. lol

My father in laws fox terrier was bitten by a red belly on wed.it found it in the garden and decide to pick it up and shake it and got tagged on the chest.f.i.l killed poor old red belly with a shovel and the dog was vomiting almost immediatly, then just collapsed and lay still. he bandaged it chest tight with something and dribbles water in its mouth etc. hoped for the best because he rang vet and was told the antivenom would cost $450 [couldnt afford it. the dog slowly recovered over the next few hrs and by evening was ok again. lucky dog i reckon. red belly must not have injected much venom. they live adjacent to swampy bushland on the central coast and reds are rife there. dog usually harasses lizards, so he might leave the long legless ones alone from now on.

There aren't crocs in the amazon. There are caimens and possibly american alligators. GAlapogas tortises aren't found in the amazon either. lol

I know Alex. It's the whole point of the story :D

Tall tales and true? lmao. I love a b.s. yarn, spin some more people, keep em coming. :D
i was climbing mt kosiosko with my bare hands, wearin only a bath towel, when i stopped for for a rest on ledge to pull up the other two dozen climbers hangin from my belt by a rope, when i was attacked by a mutant komodo dragon and.............................. :D

hey come ta think of it, just for fun, why not someone start one off and everyone can add to it, as we go? might be fun?

well c'mon pinkie, the original question, whats yours?????????????

Sorry sweetheart, i dont really look at avatars when reading post, i should have noticed that shouldnt I. You must have been very patient to hang on to a venomous snake that long. well done, bet the snake was happy to go on its way. :D

when I had to get into a roof to catch a snake, I relocate snakes from houses in brisbane, it wasnt a very tall roof about 4foot high and when I found the snake it turned out to be a Eastern Brown 4.5foot, it was about 45 degrees in that roof, and wasnt that snake ready for me, it took about 1 hour to catch it and about 3 hours at the pub to get over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back