scrubbies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNGLE-JAK

Reaction score
ok, i always thought that the scrubbie was also the amithestine python, but there scientific names are different scrubbie-m.kinghorni amithestine-m.amithestina
so are they the same or different snakes

Do you mean amethystine python? if so same species just another name.

Australia's largest python is the Amethyst (or Scrub) Python Morelia amethistina (above). It is a python of tropical rain forests, mostly nocturnal in habits and sometime concealing itself in trees. Apparently Harvey et al. (2000) proposed splitting this species into at least three, including M. clastolepis on Ambon and M. kinghorni in NE Queensland (Cape York Peninsula, several Islands of Torres Straits). These splits are apparently based on an "evolutionary species concept." I presume that the one I photo'd (above & left) is still M. amethistina as it was on the Atherton tablelands, but Cape York Peninsula is not far away. My friend John Sullivan has photos of a couple other Australian pythons, and an Amethyst from the Cape York Peninsula.

Taken from a website as I got warned not to put links up lol.

Last edited:
The Amethystine python 'family' is made up of 5 python species.

These are the Seram python (M. clastolepis), the Halmahera python (M. tracyei), the Tanimbar python (M. nauta),
the highland or Australian scrub python (M. kinghorni) and the true Amethystine python (M. amethystina).

All of these (bar M. kinghorni) occur throughout Asia and the surrounding islands, and the Scrub python occurs in Australia.

Morelia kinghorni is Australian Srubbie & Morelia amethystina is New Guinea Scrubbie this is to my knowledge anyway.
I am not allways right though. Just most of the time LOL.

Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back