Scrubby enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joemal

Reaction score
Hey guys it's time for my scrubby to upgrade to a bigger home I was looking at building something around 2.4 L x 900 H x 600 W in melemine and a set of casters to move it .Not going for glass on the front this time I will use framed wire screen mesh for the lift up doors .Any ideas from others on different sizes or materials would be helpful .Oh and no I don't want to put her outside in an enclosure just yet .

Don't use wire screen mesh - your snake will rub its nose down to the bone if you use wire on an enclosure like that. If they have the desire to get out at some time, they will just push at the wire constantly - and it acts like a cheese grater.

Size seems fine, depending on the size of the animal.

Jamie

You could always put it in another spare room like with your olive....

There are types of wire screen on the market these days that are very fine and smooth, which won't be an abrasive hazard to a scrub python (that may or may not rub its snout against it). They are used in custom made reptile enclosures which are mindful of such hazards. Ring around your local hardware stores and see if they have anything suitable. Don't forget to post pics of the final cage set up, scrubby cages are usually impressive.

I know of a guy on the Gold Coast that uses Crim safe on his enclosures. thats similar to "wire mesh"

There are types of wire screen on the market these days that are very fine and smooth, which won't be an abrasive hazard to a scrub python (that may or may not rub its snout against it). They are used in custom made reptile enclosures which are mindful of such hazards. Ring around your local hardware stores and see if they have anything suitable. Don't forget to post pics of the final cage set up, scrubby cages are usually impressive.

I know of a guy on the Gold Coast that uses Crim safe on his enclosures. thats similar to "wire mesh"

I will hunt up some info on mesh and see what will be best .At 10ft long she is starting to get a bit on the big side so was thinking by using the mesh I kill two birds with one stone by giving her an open feel to her enclosure and no problems with ventilation

The Crimsafe stuff may be OK - it's a heavier gauge and fairly closely woven. Normal metallic flywire or the lighter aviary meshes are a definite no-no. The snake 'may or may not' rub its nose - in my experience it's often a seasonal thing - but it could turn its nose into a bloody mess in a few hours while you're not there to see what's happening... Not worth the risk...

Jamie.

The other thing to consider with a 2.4 metre tall enclosure is that most ceilings are around this height - it will be very difficult to move through doorways etc.

With the door of the enclosure, have you considered having it split in two like a horse stable? It will make it stiffer, and save you money on glass.

The Crimsafe stuff may be OK - it's a heavier gauge and fairly closely woven. Normal metallic flywire or the lighter aviary meshes are a definite no-no. The snake 'may or may not' rub its nose - in my experience it's often a seasonal thing - but it could turn its nose into a bloody mess in a few hours while you're not there to see what's happening... Not worth the risk...

Jamie.

Yeah can see what you mean about the wire my Olive had the habit of pushing her nose under the door when she wanted to get out for a wander and she ended up giving herself a bloody cut across her nose area .Now she has her own bedroom problem solved .So looks like i will have to stick with glass doors unless I can come up with an alternative

id be keen to get a bit more info on a suitable mesh if anyone digs it up. i'm moving some coastals outdoors and haven't really got to the windows part of the design yet.

The other thing to consider with a 2.4 metre tall enclosure is that most ceilings are around this height - it will be very difficult to move through doorways etc.

With the door of the enclosure, have you considered having it split in two like a horse stable? It will make it stiffer, and save you money on glass.
Jonno it will be 2.4 long so wont be too much of a problem other than when it comes time to shift .Your idea of the split horse stable doors would work well for me .Instead of the whole enclosure being open I would be able to keep the end that the scrubby is up closed and know i'm not going to get a sneak attack from her .

other option that im looking into is converting a built in wardrobe into a big enclosure. not really an option for anyone renting...

around 5-6ft at the moment. the wardrobe option i might use is 2.4m L x 0.7m W x 1.8m H. An outdoor option will be much larger, the missus doesn't seem to keen on putting them in the bird aviary unfortunately.

An interesting thing - in larger aviaries outside, where mesh may be a much larger component of the construction, snakes don't seem as compelled to rub wire as they do if the smaller enclosure has wire vents or a wire front. I guess they focus on possible escape when indoors in a smaller enclosure, and the mesh vents or front seem like good possibilities.

I don't think I've ever seen a snake, kept outdoors in an aviary, rub its nose. Maybe members can tell us if it has happened to them.

Jamie.

how do you's go at heating outdoor aviarys? or do yous just use natural sunlight?

around 5-6ft at the moment. the wardrobe option i might use is 2.4m L x 0.7m W x 1.8m H. An outdoor option will be much larger, the missus doesn't seem to keen on putting them in the bird aviary unfortunately.

I want to steer clear of the outside bird aviary for now .It's just a big advert for the local crims .Except for the scrubby all mine are in converted wardrobes and display case. It's cheaper and easier to convert but with the bigger snakes now I can't find anything big enough to house them comfortably so have to go with the build thing .

if you use a spare room for your olive u could divide the room in two one half for each snake i had this at my own address one room for a massive scubbie i ve got and i have a mate in demolition who get s me large screen ( Glass ) sliding back doors as the divider and entrance Doors it works great. i still have this same set up now. i will post pics when iget home of this .

Depends on what you keep and where you keep it. A carefully located outdoor enclosure, for animals local to your area, shouldn't need heating - 'carefully located' being the important words here.

If you can get power to the site, you can organise heated hide boxes or basking lights in sheltered spots for more cold-sensitive animals. Otherwise, morning & late afternoon sun, protection from draughts and extremes of heat and cold are usually enough to ensure the comfort of your animals. Steel sheeting needs to be insulated, especially as aviaries can heat up like ovens in summer.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back