Scrubby or Olive? (split from classifieds)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i have considered getting one in the future i just love there size, are they realy little....buggers even as adults? would i be better getting an olive? ohw large do olives generally get?

Go the olive, they grow huge and have the best temperament. :)

Saying that i have never owned a scrub so i cant comment on there temp.

As iceman said the scrubbies get longer, but olives (captive) sometimes get bigger(weight). I got both and cannot recommend them enough. Check out URS website for a pic of a beaut olive!

yer i have seen that olive on urs it looks huge!!. i would just like one large snake, i wont get one for a while, but im more tempted to go with an olive, maby ill just wait till i can aford an albino...lol, yer like thats going to happen anytime soon!!! it would be great to see some pics of peoples largest olives or scrubbies.

ive got an olive i can say that they have got a really really good temper and for the scrub i dnt no but i'll tell you soon as im picking 1 up soon
'cant wait"

cheers
ben....

I have both, the scrubbie try's to take me out all the time but so does the olives when they are hungry. that aside they are both wonderful species, but keep in mind they eat large food items as they get bigger and what goes in must come out.... so you might want to invest in a shovel lol

its your first big snake go an olive. but even then make sure you get a well tempered hatchling.

well a scrubby grows to about 28 ft an olive on average is about 10 ft

28 foot? :lol: Come on, thats closing in on about 9 metres. Perhaps you meant 18 foot, still enormous none the less.
-H

Nephrurus said:
well a scrubby grows to about 28 ft an olive on average is about 10 ft

28 foot? :lol: Come on, thats closing in on about 9 metres. Perhaps you meant 18 foot, still enormous none the less.
-H

I think the 28 foot figure came from a reported specimen shot but viewed by Worrell???(In the forties maybe?) Alot of people do give this claim some credence and is often stated in books. Might even be 28.5 feet. To lazy to look it up ATM but feel free to correct me :wink:

my grandmother lives up near cairns (i think an hour north of cairns) and the live on a property that backs on to the rain forest. they breed massive amounts of birds and they clame that they have 20ft scrubs come and eat there chooks. i have also been told that wild scrubs are plasid when they are that large, and that they take them back down to the forest and relaese them. has any body come across a large wild scrub? if so waht was it like?

"and they clame that they have 20ft scrubs come and eat there chooks."

Yeah but people also claim to have a 6ft brown snake in their backyard and when you turn up it's a 30cm Blue tongue.

Yeah but people also claim to have a 6ft brown snake in their backyard and when you turn up it's a 30cm Blue tongue.

that is so true...lol. i reckon they would have them but i dont think that large but they may....either way arethe wild ones as friendly as they say, they reckon they are gentle giants and didnt believe me when i said captives are psychotic (from what iv hurd)

There are many people in the Herp community including John Weigel who are very skeptical about scrub pythons ever reaching sizes bigger than 22 feet.
I personally believe that very rare individuals do indeed exceed that length. I have seen a 22 foot one before and once saw one in the wild that was in my opinion even bigger, although I never did get to measure it. Scrub pythons growth rates slow down dramatically at about round 6 years of age and I think from memory this was a conclusion arrived at by Simon Fearn who was doing radio tracking and studies with this particular species at Tully Gorge. There is no doubt that most stories of mammoth sized scrub pythons are just exaggerated tales and large specimens over 20 feet are not a size typically reached. I think it is like the salt water crocodile, some are genetically governed to become large and other max out a lot smaller at the same age. I have seen a water python so big that I very rarely ever mention it to any body because was so ridiculously bigger than their known maximum size it is just too hard for people to believe. It makes me wonder what other huge pythons are out there some where.

Cheers Dave

basketcase said:
its your first big snake go an olive. but even then make sure you get a well tempered hatchling.

I agree, you dont want an aggressive baby olive, believe me they can put fear into the strongest of hearts. :shock:

But definately get an olive, i think they're a more trusting and safer snake. I think you'll also love their satin sheen on a pattern-free body :)

PilbaraPythons said:
There are many people in the Herp community including John Weigel who are very skeptical about scrub pythons ever reaching sizes bigger than 22 feet.
I personally believe that very rare individuals do indeed exceed that length. I have seen a 22 foot one before and once saw one in the wild that was in my opinion even bigger, although I never did get to measure it. Scrub pythons growth rates slow down dramatically at about round 6 years of age and I think from memory this was a conclusion arrived at by Simon Fearn who was doing radio tracking and studies with this particular species at Tully Gorge. There is no doubt that most stories of mammoth sized scrub pythons are just exaggerated tales and large specimens over 20 feet are not a size typically reached. I think it is like the salt water crocodile, some are genetically governed to become large and other max out a lot smaller at the same age. I have seen a water python so big that I very rarely ever mention it to any body because was so ridiculously bigger than their known maximum size it is just too hard for people to believe. It makes me wonder what other huge pythons are out there some where.

Cheers Dave

C'mon Dave,
Stop teasing, how big was the water python? Pm if you want :wink: I remember a work collegue showing me a photo of a huge "King Brown" road kill he found. He is about 6ft 5inch tall and the snakes entire tail was on the ground, whilst the body over his shoulders, and the head on the ground as well!
It was a nice pic of a poor dead olive :wink: :(

My olive used to strike like crazy every time someone went anywhere near her enclosure when I first got her. But she soon calmed down and is now the sweetest, most inquisitive thing. When I let her out to free-range I swear she plays "peek-a-boo" with me around vases and mugs and stuff!

go the olive as Serpenttounge has said, they are a little less aggressive and flighty up against a scrub as I have noticed so far, being that only I have got juvies olives and scrub; Just from general observation, you tend to know thier behaviours especially with olives you know wheather they are gonna be agro by body language, the scrub you really have to be wary cause they bite with out notice and any indicators.
If you want a giant that can be handled by younger family members go the olive but for some thing that will keep you on the toes the scrub.

But you can also put a water python as an option. can be a little more snappier then an olive but equally as beautiful

considering some snakes have just been discovered in last ten years and some of them have very small range just remember we live in a huge country especially per population any thing could be out there i remember goin on croc tour on the [damn i forget its name ] but all queenslanders know the one its north of cairns huge river and you have to take your car across the barge to get to cape trib and that there is also a big cros statue oh well getting to the point our guid had a huge scrubbie in a canves bag to let go that some farmer rang him up about because it was in the chook pen and it had a chook in him although he was that big you could only just notice the bulge compared to his normalsize
any ways for you question i have no idea they both can be tempremental although some of the olives look awsome then again so do the crubbies if i was u and i had the space and the time let alone feed money i would go for the scrubbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back