Sea sick??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
This fella looks like he is having a serious spew! The boatr must be rocking a bit much for him lol.

My Mum just moved out to Numbulwar, which is an East Arnhem community, and took these pictures on her first morning out there. Her caption was 'I wonder if he got away?'

turtle1.jpg

turtle2.jpg

Everyone has to eat. Have you blokes up in NT tasted sea turtle, if so what's it like..

I've tasted it. It is white with a kinda green sheen to it.
I thought it was tough and horrible. But then the people who cooked it would have
eaten the best bits themselves so it's hard to say.

Some of the best tasting bush tucker IMO, right up there next to echidna. Sounds like you ate a bit of fat, Darlyn, was anyone smirking or looking skyward while you were chew, chew, chewing:)! The cooked meat turns a nice "beef brown". Just don't get the green slime on you or your clothes cause you'll smell like fish for a week!

Lucky Mum, Gordo:)!!

Some of the best tasting bush tucker IMO, right up there next to echidna. Sounds like you ate a bit of fat, Darlyn, was anyone smirking or looking skyward while you were chew, chew, chewing:)! The cooked meat turns a nice "beef brown". Just don't get the green slime on you or your clothes cause you'll smell like fish for a week!

Lucky Mum, Gordo:)!!

Ha ha I would say you are probably correct!
They also had a bucket of prawns sitting in the sun going off to make blutcha. A chilli
paste. Rotten prawns can taste good, who knew?

I've hunted for sea turtles but never eaten it, keen to have a go though.

I tried long neck, i thought it was pretty disgusting TBH and then i was smelly for a day. The locals love it to the point that if they hear the turtles are moving around a certain area they'll drive a few hundred km to catch them. Apparently the favourite bit is bread dipped in the juice left inside the shell after everything has been eaten.

Ha ha I would say you are probably correct!
They also had a bucket of prawns sitting in the sun going off to make blutcha. A chilli
paste. Rotten prawns can taste good, who knew?

Or you ate a flipper lol.

I'm with you, Gordo, Long-necks and the like taste like mud IMO, and not much meat, either:)! Don't let this put you off having a taste of Sea Turtle, though. Another top tucker is, dare I say , Dugong, especially cooked in it's own fat

I'm with you, Gordo, Long-necks and the like taste like mud IMO, and not much meat, either:)! Don't let this put you off having a taste of Sea Turtle, though. Another top tucker is, dare I say , Dugong, especially cooked in it's own fat

I've heard that dugong is the shiznit! Just like a salty pig a few mates recon, dunno that i could hunt one but i'd be happy to eat one.

I didnt like sea turtle or dugong TBH. Loved goanna and file snake though. Slow cooked ground oven wallaby is good!

I didnt like sea turtle or dugong TBH. Loved goanna and file snake though. Slow cooked ground oven wallaby is good!

I've had croc and Roo but being from Sydney we don't get much bush tucker down this way, is goanna and snake white flesh?

I've had croc and Roo but being from Sydney we don't get much bush tucker down this way, is goanna and snake white flesh?

If your in Sydney, your better off eating cow:)! I found goanna to be like eating an old boot, reminded me of carp chewingum (not that I've ever had carp flavoured chewingum). Luckily, my partner's totem is a water Goanna, so we don't eat them :)! Yes, white flesh, at least the goanna.

Both white flesh, we used to eat plenty of goanna tail before the toads arrived. Wouldnt dream of it now. I'm just happy to see one.
My students from the rural area used to bring the tails from the big ones they shot for raiding their chook pens.

I find the wallabies up here just a little too strong. You can still smell it on you the next day... Yaste is OK on the young ones but all the worms in the flesh put me off.

Both white flesh, we used to eat plenty of goanna tail before the toads arrived. Wouldnt dream of it now. I'm just happy to see one.
My students from the rural area used to bring the tails from the big ones they shot for raiding their chook pens.

I thought the livers were meant to be the best bit?

Farmed croc is quite nice, but i don't like wild croc. Big stinky water bags is all they are.

I reckon farmed croc just tastes like tough chicken (hardly surprising cos thats what they eat)
I quite like wild croc tho, kinda salt watery fishy flavour.

I reckon farmed croc just tastes like tough chicken (hardly surprising cos thats what they eat)
I quite like wild croc tho, kinda salt watery fishy flavour.

I suppose it depends where you get them. The one i tried was a 4m billabong buck lol.

Same as barra I guess, I only eat salt water caught. But then I'm spoilt
with yummy fish : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back