Sea sick??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Gordo, How is the local birds go for a feed?
I have heard that white ibis taste like rubbery mud but the good old Brush Turkey is very nice though can be chewy?

Magpie Goose is superb (which is why they disappeared from the southern states 100 years ago).
Brush turkey is fabulous too but I dont knock them down any more, numbers are definately declining.
Whistling duck is good and I'm told spoonbill is very tasty too.

Magpie Goose is superb (which is why they disappeared from the southern states 100 years ago).
Brush turkey is fabulous too but I dont knock them down any more, numbers are definately declining.
Whistling duck is good and I'm told spoonbill is very tasty too.

Thanks Steve, how are they prepared? On the coals, spit or oven job? Either way the mouths watering but will have to settle for chicken though.

I've heard the black ibis go alright and yeah, heard nothing but good things about the plains turkeys. But the things some of the countrymen eat and think are delicious would turn any white guy green lol. Like wallaby stomach...

Most birds just get plucked, rib cage cut out and then put down on hot coals or cut up and done in foil. Most of the bigger animals are done in a ground oven (like a hungi).

Im so glad i read this thread after i went out for lunch! ;) eewww, ewwww & ewwww is all i can say!

I was once tricked into eating emu.......i now rarely eat meat at all!

I reckon lace moniter tastes like a cross between chicken and fish and is chewy as.
Farmed croc allright, and so is roo sausage but its a dry impacting meat lol!

Had a go at most of these with varying degrees of enjoyment
Tried to BBQ a possum in NZ
Now that was a bad idea
Almost as bad as roasted swamp hen
Feral cat was bloody awful but have eaten cat in Manado Sulawesi and it was way good
There is a snake called ular pelangi or sunbeam snake
grows in rice paddies semi aquatic
staple food item in some areas
gorgeous snake but not bad taste either

my better 9/10ths is Dyak so tried a fair bit of their tucker

live mangrove worms would have to be by far the worst gastronomical delight I ever chowed down on
like inhaling someone elses phlegm

while up at northern terrotory last year, I tried the croc & it was surprisingly very tasty! NOW i got served camel up there and it tasted like a mouth full of B.O / wet rag in one. YYYYUUUUUUKKKKKKK

live mangrove worms would have to be by far the worst gastronomical delight I ever chowed down on
like inhaling someone elses phlegm

They don't even look good to eat yet most blackfellas I've met seem to love them; glad I was never tempted, thanks for the head up:)!

I had an emu pie, was pretty good.

I'd try Kangaroo and stuff be we don't really get it, except on Kangaroo Island it was on the menu in the restaurant

If people are going to eat these guys make their death quick, and dont let them suffer in the sun!.. on a boat... where it can see its beautiful ocean.. That's all i'm saying. If its in the culture to eat it.. go for it.. just don't be CRUEL about it... sheesh. humanity people!
...... wouldnt you want your meat tasty and tender... isnt it the same as with cows, if they are stressed when they die their muscles tighten up and they dont taste as good? But thats just me!

I had an emu pie, was pretty good.

I'd try Kangaroo and stuff be we don't really get it, except on Kangaroo Island it was on the menu in the restaurant

We eat kangaroo all the time, we buy it from Woolies.
Ha ha Longqi Steve reckons mangrove worms taste like a condom full of sand.
Some country men reckon they cure hangover. I'll pass, I'd rather have a hangover

We eat kangaroo all the time, we buy it from Woolies.
Ha ha Longqi Steve reckons mangrove worms taste like a condom full of sand.
Some country men reckon they cure hangover. I'll pass, I'd rather have a hangover

Skippy stew or skippy tail soup
yummy stuff

I dont dare ask where he tasted a condom full of sand
For the sake of my nightmares please dont answer

But if the fish arent biting those worms get them on the chew

by the by
seems only the legs of cane toads contain traces of nasty stuff
bufo back steak burger anyone

They don't even look good to eat yet most blackfellas I've met seem to love them; glad I was never tempted, thanks for the head up:)!

I've eaten a few, just to impress a mob who dont know me. But they are hideous, a condom full of sand and mud!

Many very switched on people I know swear by it as an instant hangover cure. I'll stick to coffe, eggs and bacon thanks!

I had to log In, just to LOL at your last comment:)! So if you don't drink to excess, you don't have to swallow a mouthful of sandy condoms.....that's incentive enough for me:)!!

Hi so if so called traditional people want to eat traditional tucker they should hunt with traditional methods. Bruce

Hi What do you mean so called Bruce? I dont think you've spent much time in this part of the world mate? Do you kill your steak with a heavy spear? Or catch your fish in a trap? I dont think so.

It's the sustainability that governs the catch rate. Dugong & turtles are not declining here and they are subject to "traditional" and "modern" hunting techniques. You will find habitat destruction is the big killer in Oz (mostly Qld) and population pressure in countries to the north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back