Self built melamine 4x2x2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknifejimmy

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post up what I've been making over the last two days.
A melamine 4x2x2, exactly the same as you'd get from any pet shop.
Difference being instead of paying $500-$600 from a pet store I've built this for about $200.

Melamine all up cost about $45
For the lighting I bought 2 $10 clip lamps and disassembled them for the wiring.
Two light fittings $10
Glass tracking $22
Screws $8
Drain grills for air vents $4 each

Most expensive item was the glass which cost $90

Wasn't at all difficult to build either. Measurements, cutting the melamine and assembly was about 2 hours. Then another half hour or so for wiring.
Today I went out for the tracking and glass which was cut for me and ready for pick up in a few hours.
Simply waiting for liquid nails on the tracking to dry, putting two more vents in the front and the build is complete!

For not much effort at all and only a little time this has turned out perfect and will last my Bredli a good couple of years.
Tomorrow its thermostat, light cage and furniture shopping and by the evening she'll be moved in to her new pad!

This is my first ever attempt at an enclosure build let alone any kind of furniture build and I couldn't be happier with how its turned out.
IMG_1483.jpgIMG_14862.jpgIMG_14882.jpgIMG_14912.jpgIMG_14982.jpg

Yes, that feeling of satisfaction...I call it, "Playing God."

Great looking job. But next time, shop around for glass - you should be able to pick up 2 sheets of 5mm for between $20-$30 total, usually from small places that have lots of offcuts to get rid of. If they don't use it, they just chuck it away when they get too much, and the sizes you want will nearly always be cut from offcuts. The bigger places have a set price per sq m and will not cut you a deal, smaller family businesses are far more helpful.

Jamie

Geeze mate, good work. Looks schweet as!
If I had some more equipment I would give making an enclosure a go, but would't be worth it for a one off if I had to buy extra tools :(

- you should be able to pick up 2 sheets of 5mm for between $20-$30 total, usually from small places that have lots of offcuts to get rid of. If they don't use it, they just chuck it away when they get too much,
Jamie
your right there , should be able to get it alot cheaper the amount of off cuts at some places is ridiculous , where i worked it was a constant flow , good for me because i used to practice cutting glass with most of it , so got that worked out its not as easy as i first thought , laminates fun to cut , get to set it on fire with metho

nice enclosure to , its definitely a good feeling to look at one you have made from scratch and know that YOU made it :)

Just wondering, but where's you get the melamine from? I've been meaning to build the same enclosure, but in black, and all the wood has come to about $90 so far.
PM me if you prefer!
Looks great, and relatively easy to do. I should be able to manage...with some help from a few mates!

Yea I got quotes on glass and people wanted to charge anywhere from $140-$360 for the same six sheets of glass for a triple enclosure I'm in the process of building. O and a quick tip if want a black enclosure buy black melamine don't think you'll just paint it coz its a bitch. Gotaa sand prime n then paint a few times. Very time consuming. Learn from my mistakes lol

Black is heaps more expensive for some reason :( speak to ya local cabinet making shop, ya can cut a deal with them for a good price cause they buy in bulk packs. :)

Nice work buddy looks really good
Talking about keeping it cheap heres a few things you could try im a furniture painter by trade and this is just my 2 cents worth now the black malamine is always more expensive in cost than white as its more they have to do than white because its not as common used in kitchens and bathrooms as what they white is now as for painting it the only reason you would prime it is to get it flat as malamine is a textured board if you want a shiny glass looking finish i would go for a laminate board as you can buy it as a gloss finish already but in saying that it is more pricey than malamine to try keep.costs down more vist local cabinet makers and ask if they have sizes close to what you want in off cuts and offer cash alot of them will just palm it off for cheap as the same.with glass as others have said bit on the same token know a bit about glass as you shouldnt need temperd glass or laminated for a enclose just plain sheet glass should do and that should keep costs down and try keep it in small businesses because they are not as strict with pricing and work commitments to make some extra easy cash. Now im not saying im 100% correct here but it may help some people out

Nice job.. Wish I had skills to build things

I'm sure you do. It really isn't that hard, especially if you have a good set of plans and get all the materials cut to size.

having only read the thread title.

where do you buy self making enclosures from sounds like an easy way of doing it are they expensive?

having only read the thread title.

where do you buy self making enclosures from sounds like an easy way of doing it are they expensive?

dont know, I built this from scratch buying all the materials myself, not a kit...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the comments guys!
Its entirely finished now with thermostat and furniture, ready to be moved into tomorrow, will get a finished pic up then.

As for the glass, I went to a local guy around from my house as he's the only glazier in a 10k radius from me and I don't drive.
I don't know anywhere I could get offcuts from either due to location as mentioned above.
I did notice I bought laminated 5mm though so that could have hiked the price up...

- - - Updated - - -

Geeze mate, good work. Looks schweet as!
If I had some more equipment I would give making an enclosure a go, but would't be worth it for a one off if I had to buy extra tools :(

Only new tools I had to buy were a hole cutter drill attachment for the vents.
Entire thing was built with the only other tools required being a circular saw, cordless drill and corner clamps.

Last edited:
Laminated... ok. But you certainly don't need laminated glass for that sized enclosure, 5mm clear float is perfect and a lot cheaper.

Jamie

dont know, I built this from scratch buying all the materials myself, not a kit...

ok admittedly my joke was lame but i was hinting towards an enclosure the builds it self you just sit back and watch you know....self building

Looks great but what are you putting in there?? I would put bigger air vents in.

Just one thing for next time.Better to build them with the sides and back sitting on the floor as opposed to them being screwed into the sides of the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back