Semi aquatic reptiles and amphibians.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, I have an exo Terra tank, and I want to turn it into a semi aquatic tank. What frogs or lizards could I keep on it? I know green tree frogs aren't good swimmers so they're probably out. And my mum won't let me get another snake

as i said in my thread, I know a bloke who has angle headed dragons in a semi-aquatic enclosure and it looks really good. but he says the water gets dirty FAST and he is always cleaning it.

They get huge and end up needing to be outside

Big enclosure will do for an adult pair, but they do need to be quite large enclosures. They look very tasteful if they're done right. The only worry is cleaning, but if you have a good drain in the water part of the enclosure, then it's much more easy.

Water skinks sound good, I'm just worried that the height would be wasted. The tank is a 45cm cubed one, I probably should've mentioned that...

It won't be if you give them a lot of diagonally placed sticks to reach a basking spot. Thick ones too. The ones I've seen in the wild have been on the rocks and logs a few metres above the water level.

Ok, sorry, time for questions :p
What heating/lighting do water skinks need?
Substrate?
Could a pair live in that size tank?
Do they lay eggs or give birth to live young?
Are crickets ok for food?
Should I install a water filter? On the exo terra website they have these things called Turtle Cliffs. They filter the water and provide a basking spot. The surface is 23cm long and 17cm wide. Would that be a good size basking spot? Would I need to somehow put in another basking spot higher up?

45cm is pretty small for most reptiles.Either some small species of frogs or keep it dry and keep some small species of Geckos.
Paul

Ah ok then. So what about frogs? Would the bell frogs be ok in there as dannyboi said and would that turtle cliff be ok for the land section?

Most of the small tree frogs would go great in there mate.
Dainty, Red Eyes and Sedge frogs too name a few :)

Ditch the turtle cliff, and make your own land and water sections with pebbles and peat moss.

Water skinks do not need alot of water they get their name because they are found around water not because they live in it.

Where do you get Red Eyes from?
What do you mean? I mean you can buy them at certain shops or from a breeder.

Most of the small tree frogs would go great in there mate.
Dainty, Red Eyes and Sedge frogs too name a few :)

Ditch the turtle cliff, and make your own land and water sections with pebbles and peat moss.
Those turtle cliffs are great though. I wouldn't recommend them as the are high priced but if you already have one chuck it in I think they even have a filter. Litoria Peronii would go well too and they are a BRILLIANT frog. Given that is the size I wouldn't really recommend it for use for a Bell Frog well not an adult one anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back