Setting Up a Woma Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SYNeR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recently bought myself a new enclosure for my Woma Python.
It's a URS MDF enclosure 120x60x50cm.

Given that the enclosure is bare, I'll need to put my shoddy DIY skills to use.
My first question is -- what kind of (fluorescent) light (size, wattage, etc) would be
sufficient in lighting the enclosure?

I preferably would like a fluorescent light which is all set up with a 240v power adapter, and
don't really want to have to get an electrician to wire something up.
Unfortunately, I went to Bunnings yesterday, and none of the larger fluorescent lights are pre-wired.

I found a row of 3 x 20w downlights which is pre-wired, but wasn't sure if it would be bright enough
or if the way in which the lights are spread out would affect the overall lighting. I have seen the larger pre-wired
fluorescent lights at pet/aquarium stores before, but they seem ridiculously overpriced.

The next decision was heating. I was going to get a pre-wired ceramic light socket built into a wire cage (as used on my Stimson Python's enclosure), but thought I might just opt for a heat mat (already used in the tub my woma is in).. The reason being, it seems womas aren't great climbers generally speaking, so I figured a heat mat would be sufficient and possibly even more suitable.

The last decision is substrate.. I've always used Aspen Snake Bedding in my Stimson and Jungle's enclosures, however due to the cost I'm looking for an alternative. The best alternative I can see so far is Superior Shavings (wood shavings).

These shavings are apparently kiln dried, so from what I gather, they shouldn't contain any hydrocarbons / aromatic oils / etc and thus be safe to use? It's considerably cheaper than Aspen Snake Bedding, especially when I'd be using it in 3 enclosures, not to mention it looks quite similar.

I just wanted to check the safety of it first, however.. As I know womas like to burrow. In fact, my Stimson python is often burrowing and building tunnels through his aspen snake bedding from one side of the enclosure to the other.

Thanks,

Mark

G'day I bought a under cabinet fluorescent light from bunnings that is pre wired and is about 80-90 cm long and it's bright, it lights my 150/90/90cm enclosure without any troubles but it doesn't give of any heat to speak off.
I'm not sure what woma's like so can't speak on the heating and I've always found reptibark a good substrate but I am just one man and as my wife always tells me I'm probably wrong.

I bought a 10 LED strip light thingo kit, also from bunnings (approx $40). I have it in a 1300x600 tank and it gives off decent light. They have a double-light strip which you can add to as well.

Substrate-wise maybe desert sand?

I have just got wild crystal substrate for my Bredli enclosure. Its expensive to start with at around $30 for 5kg but it lasts for months and months, only spot cleaning required and your woma will love the fine grade as it can borrrow through it. Plus it comes inso fancy colours so it can brighten up the enclosure as well.

As for heating I only use a exo terra heat mat for my bredli but as long as the basking spot is at the right temp then a heat lamp would work as well.

Cheers

i have my womas on a 25W heat cord with a slate tile on top. sits at about 31-33 and works fine. substrate i use newspaper, i lay quite a few sheets down with some rocks/logs on top, and they all like to make little cave systems under the newspaper , i dont have any lights, but the enclosures face a window, and it's farily bright in my herp room during the day

Just rekindling an old thread. With regards to a younger Woma, say anything up to around 6 months what is more preferable?? To house it in a smaller click clack type tub/enclosure until bigger or straight into its permanent enclosure of sizing approximately 90 cms wide x 45 deep x 45 high??

And what is the more popular style of enclosure - one made completely of glass i.e. of the Reptile One (Evo) / Exo Terra variety or an MDF type with sliding front glass doors (Saburra 60, 90, 120 etc.)????

Just wanted to add...with regards to temps, I know the temps to keep Womas at in a standard enclosure but when they are in click-clacks/tubs as they are young how is the heat gradient managed????

Thanks once again.

Could anyone assist with the above???? many thanks.

Last edited:
I dont know much about womas, but as i understand it, young snakes can be given 2-3 degrees higher heat than adults as they are growing and often spend most days digesting food (fed every 5 days etc.)- i put the heat mat on 1/3 of the enclosure/ click clack and that was fine.

Just rekindling an old thread. With regards to a younger Woma, say anything up to around 6 months what is more preferable?? To house it in a smaller click clack type tub/enclosure until bigger or straight into its permanent enclosure of sizing approximately 90 cms wide x 45 deep x 45 high??

And what is the more popular style of enclosure - one made completely of glass i.e. of the Reptile One (Evo) / Exo Terra variety or an MDF type with sliding front glass doors (Saburra 60, 90, 120 etc.)????

Just wanted to add...with regards to temps, I know the temps to keep Womas at in a standard enclosure but when they are in click-clacks/tubs as they are young how is the heat gradient managed????

Thanks once again.

Could anyone assist with the above???? many thanks.

I have a 8mth tanami woma in a 30L starmaid tub, heated via heatmat under 1/3 of the tub set to 32. After a few more months he'll will go straight into full size enclosure (4x2 or 5x2), a SA woma might benefit from a 6x2 as they get bigger, what type of woma is it? A 90 x 45 is a bit small IMO

As for enclosure styles, wooden/MDF is the way to go for both economical heating but also reduced stress on the animal IMO

Thanks guyz. I was down at Amazing Amazon and was having a look at their set ups for hatchies and they have them in click clacks placed inside enclosures whereby the lighting is used as a heat source. Obviously if I don't have an enclosure as yet I would need to find a heat source in the meantime.

At this stage I don't own one but am looking at a hatchy, that has established feeding.

Leamos, I checked out those Starmaid tubs and they might be the way to go for now and run a heat mate/cord. I was told that the move into the larger enclosure (permanent home) is trial and error as to when and how the new buddy adapts to the move.

Could u post a pic of your tub Leamos, thanks.

Here you go reptalica, the perches aren't really needed for womas but are there as the tub was previously used for a jungle, the fake foliage is probably not really needed either but might help the snake feel more secure

Woma tub2.jpg Woma tub.jpg

With regards to the heat mat is the mat itself set to 32 or inside temp of the tub set to 32 and what r u using to control the temp??? And does the heat mat always sit outside the tub as I notice u have it underneath the tub under what looks to be a tile.

With regards to the heat mat is the mat itself set to 32 or inside temp of the tub set to 32 and what r u using to control the temp??? And does the heat mat always sit outside the tub as I notice u have it underneath the tub under what looks to be a tile.

The heat mat is controlled by a simple on/off thermostat, the thermo probe sits on the tub floor over the heat mat, the thermostat is set at 32 and the heat mat plugs into the thermostat. The heatmat or cord should always be on the outside of a tub IMO. The tiles help keep the temp stable and minimise hot spots, with the tiles the temps range 31 - 33.5, without tiles it ranges from 28.5 - 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back