Setting Up

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi. im just intrested in knowing exactly what i will need to buy for when i get a young snake. i'll probably be getting a yearling or younger. so what size enclosure + products will i need. and around how much am i looking at for a basic set up? can i just go into my pet shop and get everything i need there? do they sell frozen mice at pet shops also?
most probably getting a bredli/coastal or diamond. so will i be right with this enclosure right through its life?

sorry for all the questions. but i want to be sure. and pretty much have no clue when it comes to setting up the house :p
thanks

Welcome'

For now just get it a cheap plastic tub you can later use for mice or whatever. Hatchlings don't like too much space. The simpler the better, a water bowl n hide cave (cardboard box) will do it. For heating, a mat or light and a thermostat is always a good idea. Most good pet shops sell frozen mice, etc. but some just give you a horrified look when you ask. You've come to the right place, don't hesitate to keep asking questions!

hiya Mandy and welcome to the site. If you want an enclosure that will last i suggest a 4x2x2, but if you are buying a small snake then you can put the snake in a bug box and put the bug box in the enclosure for a while as the snake will get stressed out in such a big area if you put it straight into the enclosure. If you are in vic i can give you a ph no. of a guy that builds enclosures and for around $400, you can get a complete 4x2x2 enclosure that has the heat lights, thermostat, and uv baton (you have to ask him to put that in). The enclosures are really high quality and he supplies many of the pet shops in vic. You will need a substrate in your enclosure, i suggest (and this is just a personal preference some may disagree) fake grass that can be brought at bunnings or clarke rubber, and cut down to size to fit the enclosure, a water bowl and some logs and branches for the snake to climb around on. A pair of tongs to feed the snake his rats. To clean out the enclosure i just use a water spray bottle with a bit of bleach added. If your pet shop sell reptiles then it is more than likely they will sell frozed mice and rats to feed to it.
good luck i hope i have helped, but remember what i have told you is just my personal preference and not necessaryily what everyone or anyone else here would do.

Perhaps another thing to add would be a book on keeping pythons/reptiles. Maybe John Weigal's Caring for Australian Reptiles in Captivity.

tweety, you rekn you can pm me that guys phone number?

Thanks so much everyone

Rennie said:
Welcome'

For now just get it a cheap plastic tub you can later use for mice or whatever. Hatchlings don't like too much space. The simpler the better, a water bowl n hide cave (cardboard box) will do it. For heating, a mat or light and a thermostat is always a good idea. Most good pet shops sell frozen mice, etc. but some just give you a horrified look when you ask. You've come to the right place, don't hesitate to keep asking questions!
This is actually GREAT for me. as i can save to get a full set up while he's a baby. Plastic tubs sound my price range lol

tweety: im actually in Lismore NSW a coastal town. our pets shops have no reptiles and i went in the other day and couldnt even find a set up. but then again i coulda walked past what i thought was a fish tank...like i said. i have no clue :lol:

bakes: i'll check out those links right now. ta

annd i actually have a few books. but they are mostly about snakes in general. like a enciclopiedia (no i can't spell!) of snakes. but theres small sections on keeping them.

also i have 1 more question. around how much does it cost to get snakes freighted. as im gonna be buying mine online?

Hi Mandy,

I notice you're in Lismore. I'm a little distance from you, near Port Macquarie, and I've been a herp keeper for over 40 years, I breed mice & rats for reptile food, and I build good quality cages for reptiles. If you ever come down the Pacific Hwy towards Port, you'd be most welcome to drop by and have a yarn about what you need to start off with (and I agree, a plastic tub is way the best to start off). The genus Morelia (carpets, diamonds etc) is also my special interest, so I can tell you a bit about their management from birth to death (hopefully after 20+ years!) as well.

Reptiles can be flown into Lismore and Ballina, usual cost is around $46 basic plus a charge per kilo after that, depending on distance. A small box with a hatchie would be $50-$55 tops I'd say.

Best of luck, Jamie.

Mandy, what happened to the avatar? I am sure people would drive over from WA to help if they saw it.

Anyway if i were you i would look into the heat cords for $25 great value and they dont seem to need thermostats, and an appropriately sized plastic tub with clip lock lid and plenty of small holes drilled for ventilation, newspaper on the floor, waterbowl large enough for the snake to bath in, small box for hide, then roll the heat cord up into a spiral under one end of the tub and you are away.

g'day
a few months ago i was in teh same boat as you.

I ended up getting a blonde mac hatchling - one of the childrens python species. all i have is a plastice fish tank from big W - it is a clear plastic container with a plastic mesh lid that are for bugs, fish reptiles etc but i have also seen them in pet shops. It cost me about $12 from memory. Also have a heatmat hooked up to a thermostat which cost about $100 for teh both but you can use both of these on a bigger container when the snake gorws out of its little container. there are a few places online that you can get them from - the spponsers on this site would be a good place to start.
for my hatchling's hide i use a small tupperware container turned upside down and i cut a semi-circle out of the front so the snake can get in and out. than all you need is a little water bowl and you are set to go.

i'm sure that there would be a pet shop in lismore that would sell frozen mice etc. try the big aquarium shop in the main street - i think it was DJ's or something like that - just down from woolies.

i used to live in lismore while i was at uni - it seems that most pet shops with a good selection of frozen fish food seem to have frozen mice as well. if you get really stuck they should at least be able to get some in for you.

BTW any ideas on the type of snake you want to get

hope this helps a little
James

i hope we have all helped mandy :).
Leighr33 not a problem i will get onto it :)

anyone know where i can get John Weigal's Caring for Australian Reptiles in Captivity. ??
none of the bookshops here had it

leigh where abouts are you. check ebay they sometimes have it, i have seen the book in most pet shops that sell reptiles in vic :)
cheers lisa

leighr33 i can get u that book if u like.

I've actually got 2 copies, I think it was worth about 28 or 30 bucks

eeep its turned into a book sales thread!

oh oh. is it legal to buy rats or mice alive from pet shops to feed your snake on desperate occasions?

as far as i know it is, but it is not recommended feeding live as they can damage your snake. I would advise that you knock them over the head first. But you can find frozen rodents in bulk if look around, or maybe put up a thread looking for rodent breeders in your local area.

ps.good to see the avatar is back

I've heard that you can be charged for cruelty to animals for giving them to your snakes live, but the odds of that are very slim.

oh gosh i don't think i could bash the poor thing over the head! :lol:

i might look like a bit of a weirdo buying a mouse every week too :shock:

i'll just stick to the frozen ones methinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back