Sex vs Temperature

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not incubation of egg temperature... There's a guy well known for breeding in the 80's has experimented and pretty much proven it. Perhaps ovulation/mating temperature though?

i think with gecko's, maybe other lizards incubation temps can help favour a particular sex. as far as snakes go as far as i know incubation temps so far have no influence.

and if you are asking the question on aps my guess is you aren't breeding crocs ;)

Jacky dragons sex has been shown to be affected by incubation temps. If you want me to dig up the paper let me know.

There are quite a few dragon species that have their sex determined via the incubation temps. One of which are Frill neck lizards. I'm quite surprised that with everyone wanting females of this species that breeders have not taken advantage of this fact.

It differs throughout the different groups, i.e. many turtles are TSD but some are GSD. Crocodiles - TSD, Many Squamates are GSD with some being TSD like geckos and agamids, so it varies, however, all snakes are GSD

TSD - Temperature sex determination
GSD - genetic sex determination

Dustin

Thanks for your replies. No we're not breeding crocs or snakes or any other type of reptile, just curiosity got the better of me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back