sexing diamonds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Head size can be an indication but you need alot of experience to know when it is and when it isn't, pretty much the same as visual sexing bluetongues, wild, older animals that have had more natural growth rates are easier than captive ones that have reached adult size in three years, such pythons are near impossible to tell without looking at spurs or probing / popping.

Not many seamed to have mentioned the two spurs either side of the cloaca on a male diamond python. i have used this for a fair few years to determine sex. it has always been probed a male when it had these. As far as all males having them im unsure.

I'm a bit perplexed by my now 5 year old diamonds. Sold as a pair by an experienced breeder. They are both about 6 foot and very similar in build -very chunky. I probed them last year and again at the weekend. One probes to 4 and the other to 10 subcaudals. The one that probes deeper has a shorter tail at 23cm, while the other is 27cm. No eggs or mating behaviour. Based on their build and size I think they may both be female but the probing is confusing me.
Any advice from the experienced?

Did you probe both sides or just the one? I have a little maccie here the probes alot deeper on one side than the other. I bought it as a female but is 100% male. You think with the probe depth and tail length that it would be a pair that you have.

Probing is never 100 % due to many factors the main ones being no set depth more males and females ( i had a female probed to 14 scales given to me as male two years later dropped eggs) also males can be probed female when they have dried sperm inside hemipenes etc. Apart from this probing is not real good for the animal unless you are really experienced. Easiest way to tell male from female is bend tail upwards towards head at same time press down on snake back 1 inch headside of cloaca and you will see hemipenes pop out like fingers on blown up glove. males will be longer (allow not always) and skinnier with a pointed end whereas the females will be wider blunter and end abruptly. full proof and easiest method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back