Sexing young pythons just by looking.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koula

Reaction score
Hey all, is it possible at all to make an educated "guesstimate" on the gender of a young (6+ months) Spotted Python)? Ie: head shape/size, tail length/width, cloacal spur size, etc?

Just wondering cuz I wanna know for sure if my little python is a boy or girl and probing/popping is too risky at his/her current size/age.

Nope, take it to someone to get it probed, you'll know for sure then. Theres nothing risky about probing young snakes provided you know what you are doing.

I am in agreement with Pilbara here, however you won't, as you say you want to, know for 'sure'.

I have personally seen pilbara sexing snakes visually and I am now a believer.
I have been practising a bit Dave. Some males I have seen are so obvious.

elapids yes, pythons no. People who say they can still make mistakes, and thats not good enough for most people who are pairing up.

If you train your eye and do it regularly enough you should become very skilled at this. I can accurately tell the sex of any aspidites by looking no matter how small and are always 100 percent correct. Very small antaresia are alot more differcult and you are probably best useing a probe but give it a go before you use one as this is how you become skilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back