Shedding and feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskers

Reaction score
I was know everyone has their own idea's but I was wondering if it's okay to feed a snake just before or during shed? And is there any amount of time after it was shed? Or do I offer and leave it up to the snake to take or refuse the food item? Idea's and opinions from any and all please.

If they take food then go for it. Some will, some wont.

Thats my experience anyway

If they do, cool. If not don't stress. If you're worried about wasting the food, don't bother offering. They can wait til next week :)

Or just get more so there's never any wastage ;)

Thanks for your replies, just wasn't sure if feeding would cause any dramas with making body too tight within the old skin. Not fussed if I thaw and have to throw out, but may not be a problem as have an itch and am about to scratch it and get another already. A friend of a friend is looking to move on some of his stock as he isn't sure if he wants to renew license. So will go take a peek, and hope for mates rates.:rolleyes:

I fed at all times never paying too much attention to shedding. My juvie female darwin carpet loves her food and readily accepts food at all times. My male carpet on the other hand flat out refuses whilst in shed (often hard to tell when he is as he is albino). Once about 6 months ago I defrosted two rats, one for her and one for her future partner. He refused and she snapped them up (whilst cloudy and deep in shed). I came home from work the next day and upon checking her found that she had her shed stuck halfway down her body and couldn't shift it due to the large food bump created. I freed her and she was completely fine. She is still a great feeder however is wary of feeds around shedding. I also learnt my lesson and now avoid feeding during shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back