Shedding: why and how frequently?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptililian

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This question is two-fold. Answers to either part of it, or direction to a website, would be very much appreciated.

1. How frequently should an adult python shed?

and

2. What causes a snake to shed, specifically, what is happening on a cellular level to instigate it?

Hoping someone out there in herpland can help me.

Cheers, Lily

Good Q Lily. I would like to learn about that too. Cheers Cheryl PS Just a thought? But wouldn't they just naturally have to shed as they grow through feeding? Well they get bigger and just can't fit in their skin anymore?? LOL!

As we all know, snakes shed their skin as they grow. In a sense they grow out of their skin as they get larger. It's like us growing out of our old clothes and needing knew ones :wink: Large snakes may shed about 4 times a year through a normal feeding routine, however there are other reasons for shedding, with growth being the main one. A few others to consider are:

Pre-lay sheds that occur about 1 month before egglaying. There's also repeated shedding when a snake is trying to fight off a severe mite infestation, and also frequent shedding to heal wounds after being injured. And also occasionally shedding problems may elicit another shed to take place.

I used to know all the ins and outs of skin shedding but that info has long since left my brain, but basically the act of shedding(ecdysis) begins with an oily fluid (the milky blue fluid you see under the spectacles during the opaque stage)that develops between the outer epidermal layer of the skin and the new layer of skin thats in the process of being keratinized beneath. This oily fluid helps loosen, seperate and lubricate the skin before its shed. Within a week the fluids clear and the skin is ready to come off. I'm guessing you know the rest from here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back