Shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaksar

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My little guy just shed for the first time since I got him!

What has me worried is I always thought that snakes shed in one long peice. This didnt happen, I checked in on him just now and there are skin peices in one corner of his cage and still some hanging off him.

Is there anything I should do or just leave him to shed in his own special way =)

Thanks again for all the advice you guys have offered, I sweat I would have been totally lost without you guys

Regards
Jak!

I know how you feel Jak. My first python shed for his first time about 2 weeks or so ago. My python did shed in one piece though. What you can do ( or what I have heard) Is to mist the snake every so often ( once every 3 days ect...)

It could be your humidity level.
Give him a soak in warm water then let him slide through your hands.

That will work.
I have also suggested in other threads (and it is my own idea not copied from other sources) that using peat moss in a glass jar with holes drilled in the lid will help with humidity.

um, you could also try putting him in a damp pillow case for an hour or two, they rub on the sides and it generally helps with the bits that didnt come off. be sure that the eye caps come off also the tip of the tail, this is very inportant jaksar. if the eyecaps dont come off tho, DONT try to get them off youself, take him to a vet or try the damp bag trick for a few days in a row. you could ajust/add humidity by using a wider/larger watr dish[ more surface area] or/and move the water dish to the warmer end if the cage. misting may help leading up to shed, when his eyes are milky/blue looking. even try rubbing gently from head to tail direction only with a damp towel. good luck mate, dont worry too much, i panicked with monty first shed, had about 50 threads about it lol

I picked up a pair of Childrens last night and the male had had a very poor shed and heaps of skin,(the old stuff), was still hanging off him. I took him out the yard this afternoon and wiped him down with a wet rag and just let him run through my hands when he was nicely wetted down. 1/2 hour of this treatment and all the old skin was gone leaving him looking gorgeous :) (just like me). :) If the skin is really stubborn then Wattsos idea of the wet pillowcase works wonders indeed. Good luck with it :)

Mystic, is that dry peat moss to absorb excess humidity or wet peatmoss to add it? :?

the wet pillow case and soaking in a tub of warm water does wnders i use both of these myself but ive never heard of using peat moss i will have to give it a go next time i have problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back