Shingleback and Bearded Dragon Setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billzey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what to use as a substrate for shinglebacks and bearded dragons in the same enclosure. Something the shingleback can burrow in but not likely to be eaten by the beardy.

I was thinking washed playsand but the shingleback breeder said that it gets stuck in their nose and corners of their mouth when they dig.

Any ideas?

yeah, sand sucks for shingles, gets in their eyes too,..

i have mine on ozpet litter, and the beardies love to dig so theyre on sand,...

i think u'll have bigger probs than substrate putting them together tho, they have different husbandry requirements and from the few brief out of cage introductions i tried with mine someones gonna get hurt! :p

I had my shingles on playsand when I got them and it got stuck all over them and made the female sneeze...I use Wild Crystal, it's been great

We use Cypress Mulch- only about 12 bucks for a 20kg bag from Bunnings- it soaks up the smell really well, and our dragons love digging around in it. Easy to clean out, just replace the bits you take out with faeces on them- and replace the whole lot every few eeeks to keep it all clean, the roughness also seems to stop them from getting an abundance of shedding scale bits- couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks the cypress mulch sounds good but ill check out wild crystal too.

Chris I've been told that they are usually fine together and the breeder has been housing them in together with bluetongues as well. I've only had the shingleback since saturday but he hasn't taken any notice of the beardy and vice versa. Both are eating well and still seem happy. I'm just planning for their new enclosure which will be ready soon:)

no worries, just thought it was worth a mention,...

i have a 10 year old beardy thats pretty badly deformed (2 stiff front feet/ankles, scars on her face and lumpy ribs) from being housed with a shingle as a youngster,..(previous owner, not me)
and Odies (shingle)nose got bitten and took a good 6 months to heal,..cos he poked his nose out from a cave and Faa (beardy) went straight for him

when i saw a different shingle try nibbling on a beardies toes that was calmly sitting beside it i decided it was stupid to keep trying as someone was gonna get hurt.

that being said others have been out together and jsut walked straight past each other without taking notice.

i just wanted you to know that so u can keep a good eye on them, just cos its worked before doesnt mean its fool proof.. :)

but this is about substrate, the ozpet is great for soaking up all those horrible smells too,...

I keep my 2 shingles and beardy in the same enclosure and they do just fine together. They lay under the heat lamp together all the time. I use desert sand as substrate, with fake rocks and caves I made. I really haven't had any problems with the sand getting in their eyes or anything like that.

Thanks Chris I really appreciate your concern and I will definately be keeping a very close eye on them. By the way The enclosure that they will be in soon is indoor (4ft x 3ft x 3ft with lots of branches and shelves for the beardy and a place for the shingleback to burrow). Also do you guys think 10cm deep substrate is enough for digging or more?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back