Shingleback debate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrOnToSa_FrEaK

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
A local wildlife park keep EWD, Beardies, Blueys, Turts and Shinglebacks together in an outside pit. This pit has running water forming a sort of shallow creek with a pond area. I was under the impression that you shouldnt have a constant water supply in a shingles enclosure as the high humidity can cause respitory problems but this park has had these animals housed like this for years and they are thriving.

Anyway to my questions.

1. Does the constant water rule apply to outside pits ?
Or do they only apply to indoor enclosures as they have a limited amount of ventilation ?

2. Would it be ok to keep shinglebacks outside if there is a pond in the pit (provided it has sloping sides for easy entry/exit) ?

3. Would captive Shingles be accustomed or evolved to tolerate higher humidity levels compared to their wild counterparts ?

4. Would having the pond situated at one end of the outside enclosure help any, or would the humidity still be too high ?

5. will Shingles, Cunninghams, Beardies, Blueys, Turts and Land mullets be ok housed together in a large enough pit (provided they are all of similar size) ?

FF,
Where is this local park you are talking about? (Obviously a Queensland enviroment wouldn't be suitable!)

I would have said that if they are in pits the humidity problems wouldn't be there for them, so it would be ok, you are thinking along the right track, i.e slopping sides etc..
Are you just worried that the local park don't know what they are doing?

I know Taronga keeps Blue tongues and Landmullets together in there outside pits, not sure about the rest.
Neil

Hi Ncherps.
The park is Sydney based.
I asked the questions as I would like to purchase several juvenile Shingles and eventually house them outside. I am a little confused RE: information read, heard and actually seen as all info has been quite contradictory. The pit I will be using will also contain the other species listed so I was hoping there is no chance of severe dominance or X breeding etc.

FF,
To be double sure, why not give Taronga zoo and rng and ask to speak to one of the reptile staff there, it should be possible to do what you want to, but they are doing it with several of the species you are asking about so best to ask how they do it.

Good luck with your project, sounds amazing! Don't forget to make it Predator proof(ie Cats etc..)

Neil

I house my shinglebacks outside in a fairly lush pit but it does have completely dry areas. They are only brought indoors over winter and only when there has been a bit of rain. They get on well with bluies, Cunninghams and Beardies but I would be a bit concerned about housing Land Mullets with them.

Hi Shingleback.
Why the concern with Land mullets?
Is it really necessary to bring them in during rain?

The trouble with housing land mullets and Sleepies (SA for shingleback) together is that they inhabit different enviroments, sleepys like dry areas and land mullets prefere the wetter forests of northern NSW and QLD. I'm certain that if one species did well in an enclosure then the other species wouldn't.

Oh ok.
But could I use both habitats within the pit?
(the pit will be a rather large above ground pool)

One end an arid area with sand substrate, dry leaf litter, and the other end grass substrate with a pond etc. Hides at both ends with plenty of dry leaf litter in the arid area and moist living shrubbery in the wetter area?

I would reccommend putting in partitions and housing each species separately.If you are looking at a long term enclosure, this will help avoid fights over territory. Of course, some species co-exist peacefully (eg. Beardies & Shingles) but if you are thinking about breeding then segregation is the way to go.

FrOnToSa_FrEaK said:
Hi Shingleback.
Why the concern with Land mullets?
Is it really necessary to bring them in during rain?

It isn't important to bring them in during a day or two of rain. This is pretty beneficial for them if there is no free standing water in the pit. The main concern is when you get some heavy falls over a number of days and the pit does not dry out again. This can cause a type of dry rot in Shingleback's; mainly on there feet and belly scales and if not treated quickly they can lose a foot or worse.
The clay soil where I live holds water for a while after heavy rain. Sandy places wouldn't have this problem.
In summer the ground dries quickly and is no problem for them. Winter rain with low temperatures and lower evapouration is a major cause for concern.
I have been umming and arrrrrring for years whether or not to include a pond in the main enclosure. Still not decided. May need a second pit :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back