Shingleback weakness

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True. We've cut back on the meat a little more now, added more veggies instead :)
The egg carton method sounds like a good idea... I have a 'family' living under the gecko enclosures, to catch them I will normally put out a slice of apple then wait with a container to trap them. Your way sounds better :D

Personally I reckon they've been spoiled; they love superworms so much they don't really care for roaches anymore (not that they get many of either!)

Definitely spoilt! LOL. Now why would you want to eat round steak when you can have rump?

I checked up and Kanyana use the above diet for long term captives as well with no problems. They do get plenty of exercise as they are held in large, outside landscaped pits. In fact a vet friend of mine here built a similar enclosure or rehabilitating bobbies she treats at the practice. I have a photo somewhere.

Woodies, as you are probably aware, shun the light. Within 5 minutes of lights out they will be out and active. I actually keep my small colony in a cupboard for that reason. With the egg carton, I reckon use a whole carton turned upside down. Put a couple of scissor snips in the end of the top, so that it folds down like a ramp. One slice of carrot just inside the carton and the rest deeper in. When you turn the lights on, those woodies inside the carton will stay there. Pick in up and straight into plastic shopping bag, wrapped around to prevent escapes and into the fridge for 10 mins. You can then place them back where they are meant to be while they are inactive. Just keep collecting the trap every half hour until you stop getting roaches. Then just check in the morning for several days running.

If nothing else, it will be a lot less frustrating than the previous method. The little buggers are so damn quick when they are warm and revved up. LOL. Yep. I confess. A fellow case of "roach-chaser FAIL". But given the size of their brain compared to mine, my ego couldn't let the little blighters win. I ultimately prevailed. It is almost embarrassing how fixated you can become with silly little things like that. A squirt of insecticide would have done the trick but that would have been like admitting defeat. Haa Haa. Silly, I admit.

Being serious now, adults should not have calcium supplements or vitamins more than once a week. Juveniles maximum twice a week for calcium and same as adults for vitamin supplements. A wholesome, correctly balanced diet, in combination with adequate exposure to UVB, does not require any mineral or vitamin supplements to be added. Adding excess calcium can and does create problems which are usually manifested in muscle and nerve related issues and can also result in excessive calcification of cartilaginous areas producing skeletal problems. The general guidelines are that omnivores should have between 10% and 12% meat protein. It would be interesting to determine the actual composition of chicken frames. Bone is probably the largest component, then cartilage and then meat. So your lizards are getting a huge amount of calcium and other minerals present in bone. They certainly do not need calcium supplements.

A better source of protein would be high quality, low fat dry dog (never cat) biscuits, soaked in water. This should constitute a bit less than 10% of the diet. A small portion of chicken frames could be added to that – no more than a third of the dog biscuit portion. Then you have hard and soft fruits, hard and leafy vegetables, plant leaves and flowers eg. Dandelions, Hibiscus, Native Violets. If your lizards eat them, the occasional snail or slug can be included. Regular treats of insects can then be added but regulated to keep the animal protein to a maximum of around 12%, preferable closer to 10%. If you adapt your animals diet along these guidelines and what is shown in the Kanyana menu, I am confident that any future health issues that arise will not be diet related. There is plenty of room for variety and stimulating your individual animal's palates.

Bottom line... you were not far off a good diet, but certainly one in which the supplements were definitely not needed and are likely the basis of the problem. Would love to know how the charges progress over time.

Blue

PS. I was quite unwell last week and not able to bend my mind fully to the issues. My apologies.

Oh dear :lol: roaches getting the better of you too? They're everywhere here now, the most I hope to do is keep them off my desk - nothing worse than having the escapees turn up in the wet paint on your palette trying to drink the paint for moisture! :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention, the shinglebacks do raid the dog's dry food every so often when we let them out (see pic below, sorry it's blurred) and no need to apologise, you've been very helpful - it's a relief to find out what has been happening, can't thank you enough and hope you're feeling better!

Attachments

• IMG_6854.jpg
    IMG_6854.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 42
Thanks. Am almost human again.

Love the pic. The look on the dog is priceless!
Love the dog. He (..looks like a "he") is gorgeous.

Water colours eh? I do envy those with artistic ability. I have all the artistic flare and finesse of a brick.

Sounds like lots of scrambled eggs and a pack of juicing carrots might be in order....

Blue

hey Blue. why not cat bikkies?

i buy them for roach food, but soak a few for the magpies when they come,...

during these maggie feeding sessions the shingles have sniffed my fingers with great interest and gone for the nibble,...so ive given them a few here and there, (probably 2 friskes bikkies about twice, so not enough that would have shown a negative effect)
its a fish free variety if that is the problem,.....

guess that means the roaches shouldnt be eating cat bikkies either then,...any special brand better for when im due for new bikkies?

Thanks. Am almost human again.

Love the pic. The look on the dog is priceless!
Love the dog. He (..looks like a "he") is gorgeous.

Water colours eh? I do envy those with artistic ability. I have all the artistic flare and finesse of a brick.

Sounds like lots of scrambled eggs and a pack of juicing carrots might be in order....

Blue

Hehe, I thought the whole situation was hilarious - Don't know which one the poor dog wanted more, the shingle or the food! The dog is a 'she' but looks almost exactly like her father :p

As for art, I dabble in a few things... watercolour, acrylics, pencil. But they mostly love the acrylic paint funny enough!

Acrylic, eh? ...There is just no accounting for tastes!

Still, look at the up side. You don't have to own up to insect droppings. You can blame it on some visiting child being none-too-careful in how they consumed their fairy bread...

Blue

hey Blue. why not cat bikkies? ....
Almost all have added Vitamin D and if you are providing that as a supplement as well, then the potential exists to provide too much, resulting in Vitamin D toxicity – essentially raised blood calcium levels resulting in an array of nasty effects on the health. It is better to know exactly how much Vitamin D you are actually providing to avoid issues.

When you start looking at dog biscuits in terms of % composition and what is used in making them, you soon realise that you get what you pay for. They may look the same on the outside but the cheapies contain a lot of cereal and the premium brands animal meat protein. The local vets is the best source of local information on that.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back