Should kids that are working and living at home be made to pay board?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should kids that work and live at home pay board?

• Yes

Votes: 90 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Board?? What is that?

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is just gone 13yrs.Oh to be a kid again.He has had small part time jobs,never anything huge,not even over $200.When he works he likes to pay for his own phone credit,ipod tunes,hire xbox games....whatever he wants.He can't wait to start paying board cos he gets a house key then,and won't have a curfew.I think it has a lot to do with how you put it to the kids,don't make it sound horrible,a seperation from the family unit,it should be like another crossing into adulthood.

Well I say no, but I've always been spoiled :p Even when I was meant to pay board I dont think I ever actually did it.

I was also very spoiled when i was at home but your parents still need to teach you responsibility. And you saying that you never actually did just says straight away that you have no responsibility towards money and paying your way.

I payed board as soon as i turned 18, taught me the value of money , although i knew the value of money from the age of 5 as when told to clean out the milking shed id chuck a tantrum and say not till u pay me lol.
I can be unemployed and still have more savings then any person in my family...im just good with money and unlike my siblings i dont need to buy a heap of useless crap and wonder why im broke.

My son is just gone 13yrs.Oh to be a kid again.He has had small part time jobs,never anything huge,not even over $200.When he works he likes to pay for his own phone credit,ipod tunes,hire xbox games....whatever he wants.He can't wait to start paying board cos he gets a house key then,and won't have a curfew.I think it has a lot to do with how you put it to the kids,don't make it sound horrible,a seperation from the family unit,it should be like another crossing into adulthood.

Thanks for the parents perspective :)

I was lucky that my parents didn't need me to chip in while I was at home. That said, if you're able to support your child anyway and ask them for board just to teach them a lesson, you're well within your right, I also think it would be a good lesson for you when you're 70 if your kid then takes a cut of your super when they're helping you.

I'm the same as Lambert.
I am on the centerlink pension, I work 1 day a week, and I am still asked to pay board. $40 p/week (I know, not much) and then I pay for my internet/phone bill plus $30 towards electricity too. I now have to pay for my fuel weekly. I'm now getting the idea on how hard it is to live sometimes. most weeks I'm only left with $10-$20 in my account for my own use. Centerlink doesn't help out much when you're still living at home. and when you are only allowed to work a maximum of 15hrs a week, that makes it a bit harder too.
I just wish my brother would start to learn how expensive things are & stop asking for everything under the sun :evil:
In the start it's hard learning to juggle all your money, but I'm thankful my parents have started to teach me before I leave home, other wise I would be stuffed when I do move out.

Last edited:
Absolutely! I started paying rent with my first paycheque at age 15! Not much, just enough to teach the youngsters that there are no free rides in life.

I think that it teachs them respect & how to manage money. It seems harsh if they are not earning much but it helps the family budget to house & feed them.
It never hurt me any & maybe sometimes I could not allways afford to do the things I wanted to do, but that is the real harsh world out there when they leave home.
My Girls payed board begrungingly but it was a fact of life.

Cheers
Ian.

my first job was in a bakery when i was 13 i made 150 a week and paid 50 board i argued the point at first and mum said "fine dont pay it i wont charge u rent but buy ur own food" the next week i gave her 50 dollars

it gave me alot more appreciation for money and hard work

My son was living with GF and only home a couple days a fortnight because of work. He got sick of paying out money so he moved back with mum and dad. We charge $50 week because he eats like a horse when home. I'll ask for more if I see him waste money.....but he's paying off his loan so all is ok. Toad makes more than me as a first year plumbing apprentice!!!!!

Toad makes more than me as a first year plumbing apprentice!!!!!
And i'm a teacher

Depends on the situation, when I wasn't studying and at home (only just finished school) I paid $50 a week plus had to pay my phone bill and petrol, but I would also buy groceries and cook dinner about 3 nights a wk . . now I'm at uni full time so while I'm at uni I don't have to pay board (only my own personnel bills petrol, phone, spending money etc.) I still cook dinner every now and then but inbetween uni and work (I do about 3/4 nights a wk) I don't have as much time or energy.

My mum doesnt ask for board, but for my younger sister, she makes sure her pay is kept saved, only giving her an allowance of 50 a week, while the rest is saved.
I pay my mum 200 a week, which covers my car expenses (loan repayments, insurance) i also pay for my own phone bill and petrol etc.

Mum's of the opinion something like, while still in "schooling" we dont need to pay board as such. But we chip in our own pay when we know mum is struggling, paying bills if we know she cant, and shopping and such. Works pretty well for us. (I'm 18 and my younger sister is 15, going on 16 this weekend )

I was also very spoiled when i was at home but your parents still need to teach you responsibility. And you saying that you never actually did just says straight away that you have no responsibility towards money and paying your way.
Actually like most people I've paid my way ever since I grew up and moved out of my parent's home 5 years ago. Being a single mum I am very responsible with my money, so you dont need to go making any assumptions about me ;)

the deal my sister recived ( and by default i will recive) is once she started working AFTER school she had to pay bored but the bored was flexable, she needed a car for work so took out a lone and she had a few other expences so if she could not pay $90 a week she can pay what she can and then pay the rest later on ( someone did a hit and run on her car and insurence wouldnt pay up so she needed 800 to fix ) mum and dad put $60 of it away in an investmnt fund and kept the rest, that cash put away is given to us when we get married or when we buy our 1st house wich ever comes 1st

we are told we can make a budget and get it approved by dad ( he is an accountant) and pay $90 a week and recive financial assistance if we need it ( sis hit and run) or we can not make a budget to get aproved pay $50 a week and recive no help at all.

one other thing that our rents do is insted of borrowing from a bank we borrow from them they charge us intrest but the intrest goes into that account we get when married or 1st house

on the bad end of making kids pay though, my mate is charged $250 a week,never sees any of that again. he makes 600 a week but he is paying off a car loan,ph,pays his mums ph, pays power bill and council rates, he has about $50 left at the end of the week if he is lucky and if something goes wrong hes got to fix it him self. if you are going to charge bored be fair

Actually like most people I've paid my way ever since I grew up and moved out of my parent's home 5 years ago. Being a single mum I am very responsible with my money, so you dont need to go making any assumptions about me ;)

good for you, im happily married and have a beautiful daughter and paying of my home...... ;)

if your parents earn a certain amount you can apply for centrelink while your still living at home. If youve earnt 18 grand in 18 months and your living out of home (showing independence) then you get a certain amount plus rent assistance if you apply for that aswell. whats not to get?

My son goes on youth allowance in 1 month but I also lose all my family tax benefit. As he is dependent his youth allowance is paid to me, but it is about $80 per fortnight less than family tax benefit. If he was to work and earn over a certain amount, I would lose that proportion of his youth allowance so he would have to pay board or we don't have a roof over our heads. Like I said it depends on circumstances, every family is different. It is also not that easy to get youth allowance as an independent, you basically have to either be living away from home in order to study or say your parents are abusive in some way or you don't get approved. You also have to be studying for the first two years after leaving school if you don't have a fulltime job or you don't get paid. There is actually a lot to get when you look into it.

Last edited:
Uni is free until you finish it basically the only cost are the initial ones.
If your furthering your education whether it be tafe or uni board is something that I feel should be variable.
For instance I only pay a third of the power bill because I have a room dedicated to reptiles and a few 150W bulbs running.

LOL someone should tell the uni's that!! After paying for books, field trips, parking fees, etc. it cost me close to $4000 a year without unit fee's.. The joys of science degree's...

Pfft who needs text books? I'm fourth year and of all my text books only about three of them were worth buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back