Should kids that are working and living at home be made to pay board?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should kids that work and live at home pay board?

• Yes

Votes: 90 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Board?? What is that?

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
$4000 is ridiculous... i buy most of my text books (second hand), have a $400 field trip and pay $30 a week on my gocard and its nothing close to that. although if you count the amount i spend on food... subways just too good to turn down sometimes. im doing a science degree aswell btw

hmm i wonder if parents should pay board when they come for a visit and refuse to leave.

I have been supporting my parents on a single income since November, i am thinking about taking a second job just so i can survive.

And how do you tell your parents pay your way or your out ( i just cant do that )

Why is it that people think you need to pay board to be able to manage money later in life? I have never paid board and while most if not all my friends do and I can manage money better then them all. I actually have 2 of their bank account details for the sole purpose of managing their money since they cant.

I'm on pension and have paid $70 a week ever since i got it, plus chip in for internet, electricity and have to buy my own snack type food and drinks. I think it's good cause it teaches you from a young age you have to prioritize paying bills and important stuff before luxuries, and if you don't have the money for luxuries after that's just life =p.

Besides it's good feeling to contribute towards your household anyway, instead of feeling like a leech.

I'd agree with Khagan. When I was saying with my nan when I was going to TAFE I felt like a complete leech and wanted to pay her for the food and upkeep. My parents, unfortunately, would charge me $100/fortnight rent, and when I stayed at my nans for a month they charged me $200 for the month when I went back home. Somewhat ruthless but that's just how it goes, and it taught me to be careful with my dollars.

$4000 is ridiculous... i buy most of my text books (second hand), have a $400 field trip and pay $30 a week on my gocard and its nothing close to that. although if you count the amount i spend on food... subways just too good to turn down sometimes. im doing a science degree aswell btw

If it had of been one $400 field trip a year that would have been ok.. I had 3 - 4 most costing me $500+.. most expensive where 2 @ $2000 a pop...... but they were good... lol I would never include food.. Mac centre had way too much choice!!

Why is it that people think you need to pay board to be able to manage money later in life? I have never paid board and while most if not all my friends do and I can manage money better then them all. I actually have 2 of their bank account details for the sole purpose of managing their money since they cant.

touche.

i never paid board...
i moved out when I was 18, was still able to have enough food to eat and pay all my bills.
know, I make sure I have food, my bf has food and all our rent and bills are paid on time and still have money left over for ps3 games and take away, and we've been mostly on centrelink for the past few months since my bf's been laid off and i've only been working casually.

I think, it's totally ok to ask your kids for some contribution, once they start earning. Doesn't has to be the full monty, like the kid would pay if living on his or her own, but a modest amount sure is ok.
I paid board when I was earning and living at home.

Uni is free until you finish it basically the only cost are the initial ones.
If your furthering your education whether it be tafe or uni board is something that I feel should be variable.
For instance I only pay a third of the power bill because I have a room dedicated to reptiles and a few 150W bulbs running.

Even once I got what books I could second hand they still cost me $740 and thats just for semester one and just my text books. It also cuts into time that I could be working so its not like uni students have it easy, Because of my class schedule I can only work nights and because I have to get up at 6:30 3 days a week to get to uni on time thats 3 nights I cant work late . . So it's not like uni free because while the schooling is intially free the money you miss out while at uni has a definate impact, but i'm one of the lucky ones as my mum doesn't charge me board and helps out with big expenses. . .She's chipping in for a new laptop and has actually insisted I don't work to much (so I can concerntrate on study) and if I need money for anything she can help but I still work as much as possible as i'd feel guilty asking her for money all the time.

Even once I got what books I could second hand they still cost me $740 and thats just for semester one and just my text books. It also cuts into time that I could be working so its not like uni students have it easy, Because of my class schedule I can only work nights and because I have to get up at 6:30 3 days a week to get to uni on time thats 3 nights I cant work late . . So it's not like uni free because while the schooling is intially free the money you miss out while at uni has a definate impact, but i'm one of the lucky ones as my mum doesn't charge me board and helps out with big expenses. . .She's chipping in for a new laptop and has actually insisted I don't work to much (so I can concerntrate on study) and if I need money for anything she can help but I still work as much as possible as i'd feel guilty asking her for money all the time.
Didn't you get the start-up scholarship for Uni, $1094 a semester, I thought everyone got it but I could be wrong. I got it but I am on Austudy so maybe that is why, I don't know if it's means tested.

i didnt get anything for uni but im not on centrelink because i still live at home... lone solider what degree are you doing?? we have a max of 2 field courses a year and there about $4-600 max. Eitak im in the same position although my text books definitely werent that much... living so far from uni means i have to get up at 530 for an 8am start and im a delivery driver and expected to work late.

My parents charged me bored, then when i moved out they gave me the money back
They'd been saving it the whole time.
It helped me get on my feet when i did move out.
I used a little bit to by my first maccy!!!!

My parents charged me bored, then when i moved out they gave me the money back
They'd been saving it the whole time.
It helped me get on my feet when i did move out.
I used a little bit to by my first maccy!!!!
That's an awesome idea. You've got some very thoughtful parents there Boo

yes i think they shuld pay boared I did when I got my first work even just a little bit of money that can show them kids some responsibiliy i think that is nessesary these day and age

If I had kids & we are talking about them being under 18 & working, I wouldn't make them pay, I'd encourage them or take some of their money to put into a savings account to save for their own home or rental & get them to move out as soon as they turn 18.
We grew up on a farm and from age 12 I had to bag horse manure & sell it to earn money, as well as at 14, I worked in a family friends restaurant for extra money. I moved out at age 18 & had enough money to live by myself. Im greatful my parents taught me how to manage money & save & didnt charge me to live at home until I turned 18. Even when I moved out and went to Uni, they paid for Uni, but it was up to me to pay my way for living by myself & being independent.
I think its important that parents teach their kids good money management skills & how to become independent to be able to step out into the real world.

I am 15 and i have a job making decent money for someone my age.
I have offered and offered to pay board but my parents arn't keen at all (god knows why ?)

i would personally be happy to do so, ?

I moved out when I was 16 and have been paying my way ever since (my fault, I know)
My sister is 3 years older than me, has a full time job as a school teacher, owns half a house with my aunt, and still lives at home and walks all over my parents.
She was only made to pay $50 a week board while her boyfriend lived there.
Then my sis makes fun of me cause I don't have money while I'm paying rent, water, etc and raising two kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back