Should the main (serious) Threads be more severely moderated

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it depends on peoples interpretation of what is relevant or not. It amazes me that even in a serious question such as this one member had to invoke some of the behaviour that many members would like to do without. In the midst of all the serious information that many contribute I for one also appreciate the very wicked senses of humour of some of the members, irrespective of whatever thread it is posted in.
Of late I feel that the moderators have done a great job in allowing all members to display a bit of their personalities and defend their beliefs, herp related or not which I think personalises a site like this. I get the impression that a lot of the members on this site all have personal relationships that extend beyond the computer screen and that this site promotes both relationships of a business and personal relationship.
Life is serious enough, a bit of lighthearted #*@^ every so often is balm for the soul.
Regards Rina

Rina said:
I get the impression that a lot of the members on this site all have personal relationships that extend beyond the computer screen and that this site promotes both relationships of a business and personal relationship.
Life is serious enough, a bit of lighthearted #*@^ every so often is balm for the soul.
Regards Rina

Very nicely put Rina! There are some top people on this site and plenty I'd be glad to call good friends. Your post has summed this up beautifully! :D

Cheers,
Luke.

I am amazed that people get so upset about long threads, even wanting to lock them up on the basis of size alone without considering content! Don't you realise it's all to easy not to read it? No one is forcing you to continue reading them, accept that there is more written material in the world than you can ever read, but remember that others may want to read it and the fact that you don't doesn't mean it should be destroyed or prevented from coming into existence. (Of course, here I am talking to the members, not the mods, it is understandable if they want to lock up threads which no one is enjoying as it creates unnecessary work and of course sometimes people continue to bicker and threads need to be locked for their own good :) )

One thing I don't like is when someone puts up a serious question, asking for help or information and the thread turns into a joke or fight. That isn't fair for the starter of the thread. Perhaps people could mention that they don't want their thread going off topic, and in that case it could be strictly moderated, but most of the time the jokes are fun for all, and those that don't like it going on and on and on should learn that no one is going to force them to read it.

By far, the biggest problem on this site is the hideous amount of misinformation. It is sad that most of the information posted on very many of the threads (despite the best of intentions, I am sure) is very inaccurate. People should be mindful of the sources of their information when posting, and very careful about how they interpret what they read. Information isn't correct just because the person who says it is adamant that it is. Of course, some of what people have posted is accurate, very helpful and/or interesting.

Thats the problem, you always state your opinion, even if you no little to nothing about the topic at hand.

I post and give advice on what little i 'do' no, well to the bestof my opnion anyway.

Yes i post crap, i'm willing to admit to that, but for a lot of people on this site its an escape, a way to relax after a day in the office or what ever troubles they may or may not be dealing with in there own lives.

Websites like aussiereptiles are serious and stay on topic, this site has become a well known and liked site because of the chit chat. Become strict and it will stop the amount of posts causing the site to end up like a fewothers out there, with a post a day if you are lucky.

I like the site the way it is. I have never had a problem with getting info from people here. I have asked some questions but they are usually answered in the first few posts, so if the thread goes off topic it doesn't matter. (and if you are not happy with an answer you get, do somthing people have been doing for thousands of years........READ A FUNKING BOOK!.
Let people have there fun, we all like to talk ****. lets enjoy this site for what it is a place for people to muck around

Leave the site as it is i say ,sure theres alot of crap post but theres also alot of serious and infomative posts aswell ,and if the crap bothers you dont read it.Some off topic posts are amusing and some are not,but thats life hey.
Take the good with the bad i reckon, lifes to short to be serious all the time.

20 out of 38 votes for the way it is.....

Ok, i admit defeat.

Let APS be what it is then.

Apart from the obvious crapola im talking about, i love this site, Great people, great topics and great information.

thats why i stay.

I have met some wonderful people through this site, and that is the best thing about it for me, and secondly, have gotten some great advice over the months about my snakes, etc. If there is a crap thread, I just don't read it, easy enough to skim it and work it out, most chit chat ones I don't bother with. I do remember a time when this site was being overmoderated, and many complained about that including myself.

Honestly I don't really care either way, so I didn't choose an option. There are people's posts on here that pisss me off alot at times, but that's life, we are all going to pisss someone off at some time or another. I do want to say that no matter what, I'd like Greg's pics to stay in the threads, they speak volumes :lol:

There is one valid point that I do strongly agree with:

Sdaji said:
By far, the biggest problem on this site is the hideous amount of misinformation. It is sad that most of the information posted on very many of the threads (despite the best of intentions, I am sure) is very inaccurate. People should be mindful of the sources of their information when posting, and very careful about how they interpret what they read. Information isn't correct just because the person who says it is adamant that it is. Of course, some of what people have posted is accurate, very helpful and/or interesting.

Anything flat mean or belittling should be removed, but otherwise most of the stuff is humorous.

It is always frustrating when a serious thread goes off topic. When I posted a thread a week ago about being bitten by a snake, I thought it would go to hell fairly quickly. I was pleasantly surprised when it stayed on topic.
There are a few members on APS that feel the need to reply to every post whether they have something to contibute or not. I just scroll past these peoples posts and no longer read them. It is a shame that I can't set them to 'ignore' like you can in a chatroom because that seems to be what they think a discussion forum is.
I think the moderators do a good job, it certainly is a thankless job. As someone has already said, a little more thought by members before hitting that submit button would go a long way.
There is room at APS for everyone which is one of the reasons why it is such a great site. Even the people that constantly bag it on other sites still keep coming back.

keep it the way it is i love it. i've met some great people on this site. and they know who they are.

and as nigmax says this site is like the days of our lives.

Reading over this thread and others, I really do like this suggestion alot :lol:

PilbaraPythons said:
What about having an all in brawl section ?
PilbaraPythons said:
I might start it now.
Bob, obee said you have small private parts.
Obee, Bob said said you can't identify green pythons.
Oh and Ad said, Obee inhanced the yellow on his photos in photo shop 6.
Man this is fun.

I was pmsl at this one :lol: :lol: , but on a serious note, there are some forums that have had to resort to this. One, that I can't remember the name of, with 10,000+ members, called this section "HELL".

http://members.aol.com/hands0fate/days.wav

santa_cookies4.thumb.gif

Hey,i love this site,it provides me with hours of entertainment talking herps or just chit chat.I know i post crap just like many others do but i like the site the way it is and am one of those idiots that voted for that"idiots...sheesh" I've also met a couple of people personally through this site and top people they are,others i chat with from time to time and the majority are bloody good people who all share a comon passion.

As has been said you don't have to read every topic if you don't want to,but i do with most as even something boring can quickly turn into being very entertaining.I sit here sometimes absouletly pmsl at some comments and our members humour i think is wicked!!!

Also as far as newbies coming on and asking questions ,i feel that most get answered quite quickly and you'll get 3 or more different opinions which doesn't mean any are wrong or right....some people do things differently than others and it still works well either way.What does give me the ****s is what sdaji said about the misinformation given at times which someone should step in and set straight when it happens.I'm sure someone knows the correct information and newbies shouldn't be afraid to ask any question,even if it may sound stupid to them,if you don't ask you don't find out is what i always say!!!! Although i would suggest to any newbie to read a few books well and amany times over and you'll find yourself not having to ask many of the questions that do get asked,but unless they are really stupid questions most get answered from what i've noticed!!!

Actually other than this thread i've hardly seen any bickering or arguements at all of late,and geez we can all now feel free to post jungle pics without having some overlord trying to rule the roost,i love it :D

Peace out dudes :lol:

Actually other than this thread i've hardly seen any bickering or arguements at all of late

i agree. for a while there people were bitching left right and centre about not being able to say/do anything here without it being deleted by mods and soooo many people were complaining about it being over moderated. recently it seems that everyone has chilled out more and i for one have found aps more enjoyable without everyone complaining all the time. i also dont get why people seem to find it hard to either stop reading a thread or not read it in the first place! what's the point in reading all the way thru something that you dont care about just to say it was pointless! i no longer read anything if the first post doesnt interest me unless it turns into something funny lol. i agree it can be annoying when legitimate threads turn into crap and the person asking the question doesnt get their question answered.

i was lucky enuf to have joined aps back before greg first got banned :lol: and when the good folk like hawksey were still around (not that you kids on here arent good lol ;)). i think one of my first threads i started was when my snake had his first shed in my care and his tail from the vent down didnt come off and i was worried about all sorts of things. HEAPS of people on here responded and were really supportive and gave me accurate info and i ended up feeling a lot less worried about him! none of this "go and read a book" crap which is really useless to someone concerned about their pet. i even got a pm from someone encouraging me to ask questions on here. imo newbies get treated like crap on here these days and way too many people post answers of what they"know" rather than what they have experienced. i'm not an experienced enuf herper to help out in a lot of threads so if i can i just try and let people know what my experiences were in the same situation cos i find it helpful if other people do the same for me.

imo 90% of the threads on here are completely non herp related and that can be fun, but with so much of it being that it can get annoying and drive a lot of members away. like who really cares what you had for breakfast :? (sorry if someone actually posted that, it was just a dodgy example lol)

ok my essay is done lol

-zo "one of the idiots who voted that its fine the way it is"

Here's an idea.
Click on your name where it appear above your avatar.
Click on "find all posts by"
and have a good hard look at what you post before you consider voting.
This is not aimed at anyone in particular but it can be very enlightening.

Heres my 2 cents. I like coming here. Not everyone is to my taste. The chit chat can be tedious and the love gets downright nauseating at times. In the end its entertaining and generally enjoyable but its only a web site and one with very diffrent personalities that all share one, repeat one common interest. This leaves a whole lot of other stuff that gets discussed that 90% of other people find tedious.
Like riding push bikes in the city, or jags, or fishing, or science facts, glass balls, who is the most attractive member(I know but I'm not saying), get my drift. Of course only 10% have a problem with humour(no names) and 90% think its an integral part of the list(I do).
The examples are that only and I am not implying any are of less interest than my obsession which I have mentioned infrequently here.
blah blah blah.
I went into chat this afternoon. isnt that another world. Home computer wont support it. Last time I by a Commodore 64.

ps, I dont want to pat my own ferret but hey. At least 50% of my posts are informative or in response to the topic. that seems pretty good to me. the rest are because you all pick on me because im little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back