Show us your hypo Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The term 'hypo' can differ in its acceptance or denial depending on each person and their opinion. Whilst the general definition is that of reduced melanin pigmentation, what some may say is hypo, others may disagree... a common thing I see in these "hypo" Bredli.

Here is a male O.marmorata of mine that several people have told me, they believe IS hypomelanistic. However, I disagree as, from my observation, males of this particular lineage seem to always be lighter than the females (look at my photo for comparison). Others may disagree but this is something I have personally noticed. Also, Oedura show alot of variation in size, colour, patterning and vibrance depending on their location and individual moods. Another factor is the time of day, to me they appear brightest when at their busiest - at night, a similar morphological trait as seen in Gehyra species.

Tell me what you all think.

I like those geckos
I think that with geckos its not that they are either hypo or not as some show some degree of reduced melanin while some show alot. I have seen some marms that id say were 90% hypo compared to a normal specimen
My hypo castenauis will look hypo even during the day or at their dullest, when they are showing off they look breathtaking imo
Thanks for contributing to my thread Rocket

Yeah i've noticed that my southern spotted velvet geckos are alot lighter at night. Kind of like they have a frosted quality (like frosted glass) to them. Same with my marbled geckos.

no its an asian house gecko, can tell because of the spines on the tail.

Even still jinin most peeps could not tell the difference between AHGs and some Dtellas which also are found in peoples houses

Even still jinin most peeps could not tell the difference between AHGs and some Dtellas which also are found in peoples houses

If you say so... I find identification easy between them and I don't even live in their range...

I said most peeps, not a gecko enthusiast such as urself
I myself have to look for missing claw or spines on tail

ive just spent a week in queensland and holy crap i would have seen a couple of hundred of them a night there would be like 10 around one light. only saw one other gecko and that was a massive robust velvet gecko. first one i had ever seen. first time ive ever been to queensland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back