show us your Oedura

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't your geckos try to escape if they're just sitting on your hand? I've looked after a few geckos, and I never really want to open their enclosures for fear they'll run up the sides and escape.

some beautiful geckos posted ;)
i don't keep Oedura anymore :(
but here are some wild ones i've seen of late :D
O. Castelnaui
O.Coggeri

Attachments

• 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 55
Hi, I'm new to geckos, this is one of my marmorata's. I got the pair a couple of months ago. The littler one isn't as settled yet and wouldn't pose for pics. They both shed a couple of days after I took those pics, so probably not looking their best.

Does anyone have any tips on telling the sex of these little guys. They're about 16 months old now.

Attachments

• DSC03183.jpg
    DSC03183.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC03186.jpg
    DSC03186.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 54
At the base of the tail if there are two bulges then it is a male.

In theory that's a lot easier than it sounds. First catching these guys is hard enough then to try holding them upside down long enough to have a look for these bulges.

I was after any observational tips, for example with bearded dragons, the tail base, head size are some usual tell tail signs of sex. Any of these anyone knows of??

look at them when their on the glass at night, if your having trouble seeing the buldges, then they are probably female, the one in your hand there looks to be female at least.

How could you tell it may be a female?? I'm trying to learn, so if breeding happens I can start to tell when they're younger what sex they are. Also trying to find out if I have a male/female or 2 of one sex.

But I'll try and take some pics when they're on the glass. The one not in the pics is pretty skittish, so doesn't spend much time out when people are around.

How could you tell it may be a female?? I'm trying to learn, so if breeding happens I can start to tell when they're younger what sex they are. Also trying to find out if I have a male/female or 2 of one sex.

Have a look at
http://www.geckodan.com/Gecko Sexing 101- Velvet geckos and Bynoe's Geckoes.htm
When they are very young it would not be possible to tell. But as they get older buldges will be very telling. Once you have seen an adult male and female next to each other you will be able to pick the difference with Oedura.

Most Geckos can be raised to breed in 9 months, though depending on heating and feeding ratios, may take 2 years, possibly longer. Your ones look to be of breeding size.

Cool thanks guys for your help.

Another quick question. I'm used to dealing with beardies, so with feeding how much would geckos normally eat. I know with beardies they bask after eating so seeing fat bellies is a good indication they've eaten enough. But the marbles run out of hiding grab the crickets and run away again. I always just throw a bunch in, the next morning they're all gone. So every feed I've been adding a couple more, still always gone in the morning.

Cool, that's what I needed to know, cos to me their tummies are small and don't stretch out like beardies do. So wasn't sure whether they would eat more than you think they could actually fit.

Sorry, another question. At what age would the boys bits start to show? So I know when to start looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back