Show your quail setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you cull them? haha sorry old thread but thought I'd ask anyway :lol:

CO2 gas chamber as said above. Hook a soda stream machine with a plastic tube, make two holes in a plastic tub, put the ttube in one and fasten it with duct tape. put the quail in and close the lid, turn the soda stream machine on and leave for a couple of minutes...
EASY AS THAT! fourexes, your quails are cute!!!!!

CO2 gas chamber as said above. Hook a soda stream machine with a plastic tube, make two holes in a plastic tub, put the ttube in one and fasten it with duct tape. put the quail in and close the lid, turn the soda stream machine on and leave for a couple of minutes...
EASY AS THAT! fourexes, your quails are cute!!!!!
you make it sound so easy , ever done it? when my mate did it it wasn't as EASY AS THAT ;) , you have to get the squirts of the soda stream right or they start running around gasping for air with nose bleeds etc not a fun thing to watch , what should happen if you get it right is they just slowly start going to sleep one by one then you hit them all with more soda stream (co2) to actually kill them once their all asleep , to much and it kinda looks like they suffer before they die

I haven't done it before but my dad does it because it's 'his soda steam'. He always walks me through the process though whenever I'm around to watch. He always gets them asleep and then whacks it down one last time, no troubles. I actually didn't think it was that hard.....dad makes it look easy :)
Except we don't have the quail set ups, it's on our grand pas farm and when he gets over run by them he sends some of the quail to us. I'll try to get a pic of Grand pa's set up next time I go over ;-)

awesome peeps lol i brought a pair of japanese quails lol the males make the funniest sound and they really timid and dont flutter about like the normal quails, lol i could sit back and watch them for hours lol they live in a big chook pen and i also have an incubator for the eggs the one thing i dont get is do you feed them chicken starter/feed or just regular birdfeed? the petstore said they would be fine on seeds but im not sure also what do you guys use as nestboxes? i just used a cardboard box with dried grass for bedding but the dont seem to be using it also lol is there a reason they lay on their sides or are they just lazy

I would recommend using a good bird seed as most no name stuff is mainly seconds but for hatchling When we hatched chickens we always fed them turkey starter as it had probotics with helps provent cox city disease where chicken starter doesn't but I don't know if this will hurt snakes. You may need to crush it to make smaller. No nest boxes they lay as they go anywhere side laying is normal so is dust baths.

Last edited:
hey thanks for the info that clears things up i just thought they hated the "home" i made for them lol its cute when they lay on their sides ha ha yeah they seem to take dust baths in their seed!, i will definately be getting turkey starter!

I haven't done it before but my dad does it because it's 'his soda steam'. He always walks me through the process though whenever I'm around to watch. He always gets them asleep and then whacks it down one last time, no troubles. I actually didn't think it was that hard.....dad makes it look easy :)
Except we don't have the quail set ups, it's on our grand pas farm and when he gets over run by them he sends some of the quail to us. I'll try to get a pic of Grand pa's set up next time I go over ;-)
no worries :) your dads probably just got it down pat , it isnt that hard really its just the way you worded it with EASY AS THAT , you probably could of gone into a little detail of the amount of squirts to put certain size rats to sleep first to say that its that easy , its just thats the sort of info my mate got so he thought to just gas the crap out of them i wasn't there but he said it wasn't a nice sight watching them frantically trying to escape whilst gasping for air , he ended up working it out in the end but im not sure what it was he did and his moved to darwin so ive kinda lost contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back