Show your quail setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day guys,

Just thought I'd point out that I have a very productive group of Japanese Quail available at the moment. 3 males, 12 girls for $150.

Cheers

Is it illegal to feed any wild bird to reptiles,pigeons,doves and sparrows etc.I realise they would need time in the freezer before to any reptile.I would like to no the legal requirements regarding this,cheers.

Cheers Jonno,so introduced species like the noisy minor etc are legal..

I thought the noisy mynah was Australian? They have just benefitted too much from land clearing and the opening up of bushland to undergrowth clearing? Population explosions making them a nuisance?

We used to breed quials .. Well they did it themselves. we had a huge avairy and had about 30+ qails we started with 4... . the avairy housed birds and pheasents aswell it was awesome :)

i thought i would give this thread a bump..
am interested in breeding japanese quails and keen to see some pics of setups to get an idea also if there any quail breeders

i thought i would give this thread a bump..
am interested in breeding japanese quails and keen to see some pics of setups to get an idea also if there any quail breeders

this thread is very, very old. Have a look at this link. It covers commercial production but can be applied to a smaller collection. I've heard of people keeping a few adult jap quails in guinea pig/rabbit hutches.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/145346/Raising-Japanese-quail.pdf

I would assume a CO2 gas chamber would be the best way, just like rats and mice. I looked into breeding them, but for human consumption and eggs as I didn't have pythons at the time.

Only pics I have on hand: I'm just starting out also.
PC120249.jpgPC120252.jpg

What I have learnt so far is the males can be super aggressive, the females are hopeless mothers so if you intend on breeding an incubator is a must. I haven't tried yet but I am going to attempt to feed my water python a raw egg, will be interesting to see how that goes. Perfect size at the moment.

I have them housed in an old home made mini aviary I used to raise chooks in made from an old box trailer top frame. They stick to the ground and don't really appreciate much vertical space although I read 'scalping' can be an issue. (when they get scared they head straight up full tilt head first into the roof)

They also love alot of hide, they aren't 'tame' birds by any stretch. plenty of grasses and nesting material.

Thanks redfox :D

- - - Updated - - -

Nice fourexes. Be interesting to see how the egg experiment goes!
How big's the enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back