Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, yes, they have been officially included as a subfamily of Gecko.

Yes, legless geckos are a good way to describe them. They "wash" their faces like geckos and are very gecko-like in many ways (the way they feed, vocalizations when they are frightened/excited etc etc).

I've seen many a wild pygopod (the most recent is some wild burtons up here in Port Hedland) and I'll put up some wild animal shots later on.

-H

Also, in regards to stimulus (defensive, excitement when about to feed), I have noticed P.nigriceps will violently vibrate and thrash their tail about (similar to a knob-tail gecko). They also incorporate "crocodile death-rolls" when feeding, presumably to dismember their prey and much like Henry has stated, will use their tongue to clean their eyes and can vocalise, aswell as producing two eggs per clutch and being able to autotomize their tail.

Schraderi and nigriceps dont get very big -around 30-35 cm fully grown. The common scaly though can get considerably larger.

You mustn't feed em mate, they get over 40cm easy ;) Lepidopodus can reach about 100cm from what I've heard

Attachments

• Western Victoria 142.jpg
    Western Victoria 142.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I have seen lepidopodus as big as 900mm around here. Supposedly they get bigger.

Im getting my first pygopods soon, very excited at the new editions :)

900mm is a fairly monstrous gecko.

Here are some wild Pygos.

P. nigriceps from around Laverton

Pygopusnigriceps-4735.jpg

Pygopusnigriceps-4711.jpg

Common Scaly-foot P. lepidopodus from around Perth

Pygopuslepidopodus_DSC4329.jpg

Pygopuslepidopodus_DSC4340.jpg

Delma fraseri, also from around Perth.

_DSC2086.jpg

_DSC2076.jpg

Delma borea from near Darwin.

_DSC5032.jpg

And a Worm-lizard Aprasia repens from around Perth

_DSC3296.jpg

_DSC3280.jpg

I haven't seen too many of those genera but there's a mob of my pygopodid photos here:
Legless Lizards - Pygopodidae Photo Gallery by Henry Cook at pbase.com

... if you're interested.

Cheers!

h

I want a Common Scaly-Foot, but I can't get a tank big enough, I don't think.

I keep Burton's ,and occassionally breed them, they are easy to keep and extremely hardy provided you can feed them. I have found that if you supply them with an almost constant supply of food coming into the breeding season they will usually breed. Sounds very similar to the comment about hoodeds in an earlier post.This can be difficult in States other than Queensland.

Considering how rarely they breed in captivity it is very hard to get rid of offspring for this reason.

I am constantly asked if they are feeding on pinkies or tails etc. but being in Queensland I have never had the need to try and convert them.

Anyone have any caresheets on Pygopus sp., specifically lepidopodus and nigriceps?
If not, anything for Delma?

Anyone have any caresheets on Pygopus sp., specifically lepidopodus and nigriceps?
If not, anything for Delma?

As previously mentioned the Pygopus species can be kept like knob-tails. Delma, the same except they're diurnal so feed them during the day. I've heard of people supplying overhead heating (basking lights) and UV but personally I think they all do well when kept like geckoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back