Sick Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouncer

Reaction score
As you all know, We bought a pair of Central Netted Dragons on Saturday. In the shop, they were all full of life. We got them home and they seemed happy enough, roaming around and chasing the crickets we put in for them. I put in some vegies for them yesterday but they haven't touched them, not unusual but today we noticed that the female is practically lifeless. She isn't moving much. Sitting in the cooler end of the enclosure and not doing much else. She doesn't even try to bolt when we go to pick her up. We used red dirt, a log or two and they have a water dish. Same as the enclosure they came from. We have a UVB tube in there and the temp is a steady 30C. The male isn't running around as much as he did either but he still tries to run when we pick him up and seems to have plenty of go in him.
Anyone have any idea's? I'm REALLY worried.

Try getting some water in to the as well... If you can, maybe buy some 'electrolize suppliment' from exoterra. It has electrolytes in it that gives the dragons enough energy to sometimes keep them alive. I used this on ALL of my trouble feeder baby beardies (ie, didn't eat for a week) and they are all big lil buggers now :)
Plus, my female netted gets a bit listless when she hasn't had any water in a while. Tonight I put a bowl in there and she leapt in and left her entire head under water for a good few mins while she re-hydrated.
It has nothing to do w/ the pet shop unless they had just gotten them in that day and on'sold sick ones to you. Otherwise if they had had them for longer, they would have been sick for them :( Sorry - i can't think of anything else. Have they consumed any of the sand???

I don't know much about lizards, but what it the temp at the hot end of the enclosure? Being 'central' netted dragons they might enjoy a hotter basking spot?

Maybe a trip to the vet might be in order if their condition doesent improve.

thats y u do not buy from the shops.

And Redline there was no need for that.

I don't know much about lizards, but what it the temp at the hot end of the enclosure? Being 'central' netted dragons they might enjoy a hotter basking spot?

Oh, I over looked the temp, Up it to 35C, but I doubt that would be the sole reason.

"Get a good quality 'U.V' globe, provide a basking spot right under the light; as Dicco said, up the heat, i suggest eavn as high as 45+ at the basking sight, so long as the enclosure is large enough to still have a cooler end........often i crack thermometers at the hot end, -mist-spray in the morning, and leave the heat on for longer than usual, hope it improves..."

We buy Pisces crickets and gut load em up on gutload and carrot. Meal worms from the same place. Veges are all fresh, same as we feed the others. I think they have only eaten the crickets since we got them. Hubby upped the temp after I went to work last night and he has improved. Did a runner on me this morning. She is still a bit listless though. They have a water dish in there already and I misted them just now.

what types of vegies have you used? some can be toxic i think. is the female very skinny? one of mine had just laid before i got her and she was very quiet and slept all day and wouldnt move or care if she was touched for about a week or so initially. apparently they go like that and wont really touch food after laying. is that a possibility? maybe it's also possible its her way of dealing with being in a new enclosure/environment? one of my males still doesnt move around much when i'm watching and he acts like a statue when i pick him up or put him down...just a few ideas

Ok, it is possible that you are keeping them too cold, these animals are desert dwellers and exstreme temps are what they need, this might seem to hot, but at the hotter end of the enclosure should be at least 40degrees, these animals in the wild will bask on rocks that are we over 50 degrees. have the cooler end around 25 degrees. UV's are good but which one do you have 2.0 or 5.0 if its a 2.0 you will need to use a higher output of UV, A 5.0 is purposely made for arid animals such as vitties and netteds, dont worry about feeding them vege, these dragons are hight insectovors, and little hurbies....so pack them full of cricket, roaches moth etc etc and when the animals are fat then try veggies....also dust every feed (every) with a calcium or vitemin supplement.

MARC

my netteds are only kept at about 35 on their basking spot unless it's a hot day when it'll get up to about 45 degrees. that's mainly because if i put the ozbright any closer the cool end will get even hotter (30 degrees atm). i am planning on getting a higher basking spot so i can get it hotter without increasing the rest of the cage temp but mine don't seem to have any probs because of it. not arguing with you marc cos you're more experienced than me lol. just saying maybe it's not a heat thing? i've had mine since about mid november.

wish you the best Bouncer, keep us updated please. fingers x'd for you. :wink:

Thanks so much guys!! I just woke up and hubby had the heat cranked up to 38C and they were both running around like nuts. He bought fresh crickets, dusted them off with vitamin dust and put em in a cricket rock and every now and then one will come out and they go crazy, lol. They're going to be fine.
Agamidae, The UV tube we bought is a 5.0. So I think you were all right. It was a bit too cool for them. Maybe the water spray also helped. Either way, the great advice from you guys helped alot.
Thanks again. Must take some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back