Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goony

Reaction score
Agreed. The pattern, width (compared to length) of the skin and overall size, plus it is up in a tree, all say Diamond Python.

EDIT: These characteristics point to it being a Morelia spilotes Python and the pattern appears to be that of a Diamond Python in particular. However, it would seem I am mistaken there - see below as Norm has pointed out this would be outside their natural range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being that far north wouldn't it more than likely be a coastal? Definitely not a diamond.

Its either a coastal or a diamond, im thinking more of a diamond but could be coastal x diamond

Or as earlier posted an intergrade, but even then it's a fair way north for an intergrade. Unless its an escapee.

Norm, I am glad you are on the ball. I didn’t even consider the location being outside the natural range. Diamonds really occur about as far north as about the level of Coff’s Harbour at best (from memory). Given we are talking up near Byron, no way would you expect even an intergrade.

I did think at the time that what would be the rosettes on a Diamond were particularly large. Upon reappraising the evidence, I reckon my initial ID is most likely wrong. As Norm pointed out, for it be a Diamond it would have to be an escapee. So in conclusion, it is most likely to be a Coastal Carpet with a somewhat unusual pattern. If you get outside at night time and have a good look you might find it in the vicinity. Apparently carpets tend to hunt in the one area for a couple of weeks and then move about a hundred metres or so and set up shop again.

Blue

PS. I thought I had posted similar to the above earlier in the day. So I am not sure what happened to it…

Cheers Bluetongue1, I'm no expert but I believe the thing that would be really helpful would be if we could see if it has any tipping on the darker sections like diamonds get. I think you would find coastals up that way with smaller blotches like that slough has but without the tipping.
Funny how things work out, just a couple of weeks ago I was driving north out of Byron bay when I saw a dead carpet on the side of the road but I didn't stop for a look. It was a bit hard with the caravan on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back