Skin liasions after shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My diamond that laid eggs this year just shed after spending one whole week in the water(no mites). Upon inspection of her shed I noticed thick mucas type stuff and some thick spot were it was more than one layer,so straight away I looked at her in her hide box and she has these sores all over her they are dry already and her shed skin was still wet were rolled up.The sore are not deep but look bad enough to leave a scar. She has 2 little ones on her head and some big ones down her body.Any idea's?? This is just another bloody horror story in the making about buying supposodley healthy adult snakes!!!!! AGGHHHHHHHH !!!!!!

Sounds like Scale rot to me.
Comes from the snake spending too long in the water and not giving itself enough time on a dry area to dry out.
Happens alot when snakes have got mites, as they find it there only source of relief(Not saying yours has! probably just the fact of coming upto a shed).
You might be best taking her to a vet, but if there not too bad, keep her out of the water, put in a small water bowl that she can't lay in, get some betadine spray and spray up the are's you mention, if you can't find the spray, then get the liquid betadine and with cottonwool bath twice a day.
Yes, you might get left with a couple of blemishes, all depends on how deep the areas are.
Also it would be best to keep the floor substrate as newspaper or something dry like that that can be changed daily, helps to keep things clean and dry while the area's heal.

Hope it helps.

Neil

At first glance the title of this thread could almost be viewed as a really good/bad title for an adult movie"SKIN LIASIONS AFTER SHEDDING". Is "lesions" the word? Anyway hope the problem fixes itself and my suggestion is pull out the betadine. Make sure everything to do with your snake is kept clean lessen chaces of any infection setting in.
rina

Thanx guy's will avoid the spraying up the are's(lol). She has newspaper as substrate as all my snakes do,and I knew I spelt it wrong.The wounds are not deep only say the first layer of skin and they were dry before the shed was! She has no mites,I have had this problem before and made God damn well sure she didn't have 'em before she came within 200 metres of my house. I HATE MITES!!!!!!!! Going to buy betadine right now. :)

I have been at Adams place today, and I do not think that this problem is scale root.
Wounds are dry and looks like snake had problem to shed . The old skin did not separated from new one in few places. You can see that on sheded skin. Snake shed in one peace and the old skin remind spots with new skin on it. Strange thing. Mabe that is why snake spend so much time in waterbowl.

if that is the case adam try soaking the areas in warm salty water (on a cotton pad) you will need about five mins per spot then gently try and remove the scale build up, dont force it though if you keep soaking it it will come off... that is if it is what i am thinking of

Nah waht Slatey ment was that there was new skin on the shed,in some places it had taken the new skin off with the shed. There was actuall skin on the shed,now she has bare skin patches on her were there are no scales. The shed was 3 or 4 layers thick in spots. ( does that sound right Slatey?) anyway I have bought a bottle of betadine and wipe her from head to tail 2 times a day. Should the betadine be waterd down? It is Betadine Antiseptic Solution and on the back all the instructions say to use straight.

Yep adam. I have hard time to express my self correctly sometimes. Old skin have bits of new scales attached, And snake have few places with out scales.
But snake looks ok and in good spirit. Looks like all will be fixed with next shead. wounds are dry and snake is feeding.

im with ya now sorry matey,

and there is no need to dilute the betadine, hope it all gets back on track with her and like slatey said will prob fix itself with the next couple of sheds

cheers
Matt

Ok. I am a novice and am just stating my thoughts so no one have a go at me but if a snake sheds its old skin and takes some 'new' skin with it wouldn't that be like an open sore similar to a human grazing their knee etc. If so wouldn't the Betadine (whatever that is) sting? Unless watered down somewhat.

Yes it is just like a graze. I just then put betadine on for the second time and it was straight and aside from some hissing she was fine. I only held her head so I didn't get it in her eyes and then let her head go and done her body from head to toe,with the missus working the bottom half while I done the pointy end. It is amazing how fast this healing the betadine from last nites application has made it look half as bad as when I found it. Betadine does not sting and is used on open wounds in hospitals. You know that yellowy brown stuff they put all over ya before an operation? Well that's what it is. :)

Now I understand. I know the stuff......come off a bike many years ago. That could have been what they used on my grazes. Still freakin' hurt though.

Coming off bikes will tend to hurt a whole freakin bunch regardless of what they put on there I know this first hand as I race bikes and have had my fair share of trips to the hospital,in fact in Tamworth the nurses new me by name as soon as I walked or got carried in they would say "not you again Adam,what have you done this time?"

shamus that would prob have been betadine oxide (hurts like buggery) or iodine they look the same

My suggestion would be to buy one of the vetinairy hand washes like Chlorihexamine or what your vet has and use it to wash your diamond. Do this every few days. You can back it up with applications of Silvazine(perscription).
It is in all likelyhood bacterial and can become a major problem. You should also give the enclosure a really good clean out and if possible reseal the surface.
Peter

She is looking better again today. Putting betadine on once a day and looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back