Sleeping with pets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it ok to sleep with pets

• Yes

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Who cares

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the dogs and the rabbit did for a little while until we found out she was a he when he started spraying everywhere.

Several times fallen to sleep with one particular juvenile proserpine coastal (named Friday) up my sleeve. On awakening, tend to find it has relocated elsewhere within my clothing. For example, during winter, still within my jumper, but closer to the heater, (I use an outdoor infrared lamp in my bedroom). Not concerned about crushing, if I sleep on my back I won't move. Also, I only sleep a couple of hours at a time... every few days. Though Friday is much larger now, and I have started to sleep in bed rather than on the couch (my bed is 8ft off the floor, close to the ceiling and hard to climb into weilding a python).

If they're toilet trained they're fine. I used to sleep with mine and he'd get up and go to the litter tray. Rabbits are very intelligent.

I had a pet bunny when I was younger who used to hang out and sleep in my room. He had a puppy pad in the corner and never had accidents anywhere :)

Funnily enough my cat who always slept on my bed never had a problem with him. She always clawed at the carpet at my door in the morning if I didn't get up early enough to open it. There's still a 'bald' patch in my old room at Mum and Dad's. We must have done something right though, she's 17 and still going strong - touch wood!
- - - Updated - - -
I accidentally fell asleep with my woma one night and woke up in such a panic! He was curled up in a ball under my hand which was resting on my tummy under the doona. I now make sure to only get him out when I'm wide awake lol.

Last edited:
Several times fallen to sleep with one particular juvenile proserpine coastal (named Friday) up my sleeve. On awakening, tend to find it has relocated elsewhere within my clothing. For example, during winter, still within my jumper, but closer to the heater, (I use an outdoor infrared lamp in my bedroom). Not concerned about crushing, if I sleep on my back I won't move. Also, I only sleep a couple of hours at a time... every few days. Though Friday is much larger now, and I have started to sleep in bed rather than on the couch (my bed is 8ft off the floor, close to the ceiling and hard to climb into weilding a python).
Pretty much the same here, just with birds and not every few days. Like I fall asleep with him sitting next to my pillow or on the back of the couch and wake up with a bird or two snuggled into me

Do not sleep with birds, they can pass on meningococcal disease. I used to be a nurse and looked after
a man who nearly died from this disease. He kept homing pigeons. We had to IV the veins in his toes
because all the other veins had collapsed. Love your pets, but be sensible.
They don't need to sleep with you and you sure as hell don't need to sleep with them.

we used to sleep with our Blue Persian on a pillow wrapped around my or my wife's head and our chinchilla between us , but children fixed that

and I don't think our week old ducks would be nice in bed ,even though our daughter thinks otherwise ( yes they are now out on the lawn and her sheets are in the washing machine !!! )

We have our Fox terrier cross jack russell and our english staffy sleep in our bed.

If they don't fit in your bed, you go to their bed!
1366_10151854021472498_691631388_n.jpg

I had a pet bird once first not I got it I slept with it. Woke up to a dead stiff bird :( don't sleep with pets unless you wanna bury em lol

Unless they're too big to crush of course I've slept inside with my dog if she's sick/injured in the lounge room but no chance in my bed.

I voted no because I think its dirty. No offence to people that do sleep with pets but I just like my bed to be clean.

One of the our dogs - size of a German Dackel - sleeps between us in the bed every night, and snores and farts as she is getting older, too, but we love her anyway. By the morning, our two big White Shepherd Dogs and at least one cat will have joined us in the bed, too, although they are "officially" not allowed to. Sometimes I wake up and find that I cannot move in any direction, because I am surrounded by animal bodies!

But our weirdest bedmate ever was a BABY GOAT. We rescued him from a market when he was only a few days old, and it was August, with bitterly cold nights. First, we thought a farm animal would sleep outside, or on a blanket in the laundry, but he kept crying. So we put some baby nappies on him and took him with us in our bed. :)
Later our "Nibbles" grew to an 80 kg Andalusian and became a star performer in a show farm.

i don't mind the dogs in bed as long as they sleep down the end. i don't think its dirty if you change/ wash your sheets weekly and wash your dog once a fort night. wen i lived in a unit by myself my chihuahua had a dog bed right next to mind and slept in her own bed but on really cold nights i let her sleep with me but worried about crushing her, but she always slept around my head. the staffies always try and sneak into bed. these days all dogs sleep in their kennels in the back yard. and if any dog is indoors they have to sleep on the carpet, hubby does not like them in bed at all.

I wouldn't sleep with anything smaller than a cat, then the risk of crushing them is much higher. I've got two ridgeback x bull mastiff and I wouldn't sleep with them because of how much room they take up! If your pet is clean and big enough I see nothing wrong with it.

I know I can't wait till I can get a cockatoo or macaw to cuddle up with :) big enough to actually cuddle. I think it may be abit spoiled

I personally don't have any animals in my room as I try to make it "my space" so I can get away from them if I want but my Princess parrot always snoozes on the lounge with me.

With my dogs, I'm starting to think after reading this thread and others that I am a very dominant owner. I have my room as completely my space. My dogs have to wait at the door way unless I give them permission which is not very often. They are not allowed on my bed. I like what little sleep I get too much. :)

My cat when she was still alive used to wait until I went to sleep and she would sneak onto the bed. I often would come home to find her curled up at the end of my bed or next to the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back