'Snake' bails up police station

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/snake-bails-up-police-station/2007/10/05/1191091317362.html

October 5, 2007 - 7:38AM

Police in Dandenong received an unwanted visitor this morning when a garbage collector brought in what they believe is a snake in bag.
But no one at the station is prepared to open the moving cloth bag to check its contents.
The bag was found about 5am in a rubbish bin at the corner of Mason and Warner streets, Dandenong, police said.
"The garbage men have just found it in the bin while they were collecting the rubbish," a spokeswoman said.
It is not known what kind of snake it is, or if it is dangerous.
Police have called in a snake handler to remove the bag's contents and are keeping a safe distance until then. :D

Listening to the radio reports the police were assuming it was dumped and were looking for somebody to dob in the owner.

I am guessing it was an exotic of some sort. If it is I would assume that it will be put down anyway.

Listening to the radio reports the police were assuming it was dumped and were looking for somebody to dob in the owner.

I am guessing it was an exotic of some sort. If it is I would assume that it will be put down anyway.

I find it disgraceful that somebody justs 'dumps' an animal on the street like that. I really hope they find the vermin responsible to prosecute them. It may well turn out to be an exotic, but they shouldn't have had it in the first place and there's no excuse for dumping it like that (imo)

what they believe is a snake in bag

What makes them think it is a snake?

It could be anything really, unless it has a very distinct snakely shape :lol:

But still... it could be a dumped kitten, or a baby... stranger things have happened :shock:

The Age have updated the story.

The snake shelter in Scoresby would be, I am pretty sure, the one run by the editor of Reptiles Australia ;-)

I wonder what sort of python it is?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/10/05/1191091317362.html

Python may have been stolen

A snake that had Dandenong police feeling a little jumpy this morning could be a diamond python stolen during a burglary in Cranbourne.
The snake was brought to the police station this morning by a garbage collector, who found it wrapped in a pillowcase in Melbourne's south-east.
No-one at the station was prepared to open the moving pillowcase to check its contents and a handler was called.
Sergeant Michael Mastromanno from the Dandenong police said they thought it was most likely that the snake had either been abandoned, or was an animal stolen earlier this week.
"We think it's definitely a pet. It's definitely been abandoned or was stolen. There has been a snake stolen from a burglary in Cranbourne that we're still following up.
"It could just be someone who's got sick of their pet and that's the convenient way to get rid of it," Sergeant Mastromanno said.
Police received the snake this morning when a garbage collector brought it in after it was found about 5am at a public bin on the corner of Mason and Warner streets, Dandenong.
The python was in a pillowcase on top of the other rubbish in the bin and garbage collectors picked it up and brought it to the station.
"A garbage collector down in Dandenong emptied out one of the street-side bins and noticed part of it was moving and he's brought it in to the police station here," Sergeant Mastromanno said.
Police notified a professional snake collector who picked the Python up and took it to a snake shelter in Scoresby.

... and I expect to see him at tonights VHS meeting where I will quiz him for the inside story ;-)

Any one have any info on the snake shelter on Scoresby, i live near Scoresby.
just interested in finding more info
thx ian

Miss B said:
What makes them think it is a snake?
;) On the TV 6PM news it showed a beautiful Diamond Python.....and our local snake catcher taking it out of the police station.

Yeah I know that... but the original story said that a garbo found a wriggling bag, suspected that it was a snake, and brought it to a police station where no-one was game enough to open the bag and check the contents. So I was wondering what it was that initally made them think it was a snake.

Just saw it on the news too... beautiful python.

Sorry I wasnt at the meeting on Friday...working again!! The diamond python was a beautiful snake, in the bag, it was difficult to see some serious long term injuries. The spine was fused in several places, a rare disease. This was diagnosed by a reptile vet in my area. Due to the poor prognosis (the spine will fuse in more places eventually starving the snake) the snake was euthanised by the vet.

The lost reptiles home never received the snake, and the DSE was immediatly notified of the situation, I had a call from them at 6:45 checking who was handling the situation and requested updates.

A pity the person who dumped it did not see fit to have it euthanised themselves.

That is indeed sad.

Thanks for the update.

As for the VHS meeting I thought it was excellent. It is a pity the publicity department doesn't do a bit more to rustle up the numbers. Those that did not attend missed out.

I was looking forward to it, but work always takes priority. It was heart breaking to see the python, it was a well marked snake!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back