Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazzzylizard

Reaction score
hey guys i was thinking of getting a python but I'm scared it will randomly bite me while I'm handling it, so I ask do snakes bite you for no apparent reason
I know that if you try to handle them while there eating, or shedding they could bite you or if you handle them to roughly they could also bite you then to

lol
they dont usually bite randomly (but there is the odd one thats just crazy and attacks everything)
but you'll find most bites is just used for defence or if they feel threatned, or it can be a feeding response if you haven't properly washed your hands after feedin etc
hope this helps

if your worried about getting a bite then sorry to say don't get one , go get a kitten , snakes bite its what they do when there scared ,startled, hungry or just dont like being touched its not an if you get bit its a WHEN

snakes do bite randomly, and like thomasss said, it's a matter of when not if. but it's not that scary! before you go buy one, if you've got friends with a python ask if you can spend some time handling it, or try and get some experience some other way. you'll soon get comfortable handling them and learn that being bitten is not a big deal! i'm more scared of my brother's cats scratching me than my 3 snakes biting me!

if your worried about getting a bite then sorry to say don't get one , go get a kitten

Kittens bite too, and in my experience they bite harder than most snakes.

All snakes have the capacity to bite. There are certain things you can do to minimise your risk of being bitten (i.e. not grabbing the snake straight out of the enclosure and gripping it tightly) but no matter what you do you still have to be prepared for the fact that you can get bitten. Realistically, if you have a smaller snake like a young spotted the size of the bite isn't going to be too big.

if your worried about getting a bite then sorry to say don't get one , go get a kitten , snakes bite its what they do when there scared ,startled, hungry or just dont like being touched its not an if you get bit its a WHEN
I hear this a lot but I've had my snake for over a year and she's still never bitten me (i've been bitten by others). Is this weird?
And good luck with kittens...they'll bite you 34 times a day!

I hear this a lot but I've had my snake for over a year and she's still never bitten me (i've been bitten by others). Is this weird?
And good luck with kittens...they'll bite you 34 times a day!

hahahaha, i had been boasting about not being bitten in a year of keeping the other day. That night I got bitteen by my woma. It really doesnt hurt, and after knowing what it feels like I feel alot more confident with all of my snakes, even the jungle that strikes every time he sees me...

Some snakes are more placid than others, I wouldn't say that that was weird. I think the reason people say it's a 'when' is that it's easy to get complacent.

hey guys i was thinking of getting a python but I'm scared it will randomly bite me while I'm handling it, so I ask do snakes bite you for no apparent reason
I know that if you try to handle them while there eating, or shedding they could bite you or if you handle them to roughly they could also bite you then to

If you want to get one then get one.it can randomly bite but usually you have signs that it pissed off and keep it feed weekly and you should be right. start with a hatchie and if it look like its gunna be snappy let it bite you as much as you fear it it dosent hurt from a little one and if you handle him try only to do so in the day time as they hunt at night so thats usually when you get biten and never reach in and pick them up as adult always hook them out. also start out with a snake that are know for good temperament like a diamonds or bredli or womas stay away from jungles and darwins as they are highly strung lol i was like you and a bit worried about be biten but i let if get me and now have five snakes and three are good. striped coastal which has never biten a bredli which has a night but day time never and a diamond that has never but my jungles love biteing me and is nothing to be biten up to 10 a handleing session but as a little fella i get quite amused

thanks guys for the help after hearing what you said i think ill get a snake over another cat the 1 i have is very fiesty at night

hahahaha, i had been boasting about not being bitten in a year of keeping the other day. That night I got bitteen by my woma. It really doesnt hurt, and after knowing what it feels like I feel alot more confident with all of my snakes, even the jungle that strikes every time he sees me...
Yeah I've been bitten before and I'm really not scared about it (held a jungle yesterday actually) maybe I shouldnt be bragging about it tho hey??? I am just wondering if my snake is unique.

Some snakes are more placid than others, I wouldn't say that that was weird. I think the reason people say it's a 'when' is that it's easy to get complacent.
Yeah i think she is just placid. almost bit my sister once but she was being realllllly annoying so I don't think it wouldve counted.

I got tagged by my 2.5 year old Coastal(she was tired of being treated for mites(last owner not me)after the initial shock(I had been bitten by my hatchies)and once it stopped bleeding in all honesty I have had worse cat/dog bites :) snakes do bite, but they are worth it. Whats a quick tag between friends lol I would try and get a hatchy or yearling that has been handled by the breeder and they advise you that it is handling well :)

I'm still waiting to be bitten. Iv owned snakes for 7 months now and my 2 Stimys are placid as anything and my SWCP the previous owner did an amazing job she is also placid never attempted to bite but does like to hiss :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kittens bite too, and in my experience they bite harder than most snakes.
haha yeh ill give you that but the point i was making is more that people tend to not be fussed if a cat or a dog gives them a little nip as with the limited time ive been on here ive already seen a number of " help my snake bites and now im to scared to touch it" threads. These people really should realise BEFORE they buy a snake that there is a very real chance that you will be bitten if you don't like the idea then a snake isnt for you , you need to be confident enough to get your snake out of its enclosure for cleaning purposes and things like taking it to the vet if its ever needed , that was the point i was making not that kittens wont bite you

It's more the shock of being bitten rather than scared of the bite??? Am I right well that's what everyone tells me haha I'm scared about the strike because the lil critters are just so fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha yeh ill give you that but the point i was making is more that people tend to not be fussed if a cat or a dog gives them a little nip as with the limited time ive been on here ive already seen a number of " help my snake bites and now im to scared to touch it" threads.

lol, I know. I agree with your point. I see and hear about a lot of snakes that are treated appallingly because people are terrified of them and don't look after them.

I crap myself every time I have to get mine back into their enclosures...especially after they've charged themselves up on a good dose of sunlight :lol:

DSC_0076-1.jpg

i actually get a buzz outta the OMG i might get bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it happens, n i like it

I have only bitten a few times by my snakes, once from the boa when it was young and hit my hand instead of the mouse i was dangling, 3 times by my luecistic rat snake, and twice from the ball python (before you ask im from the USA where these guys are legal) both the python and boa bit me mistaking me for food, the bites where very quick, and almost painless, but they do make you bleed alot, however, my luecistic one day became insaine, it went from puppy dog tame to striking at the cage when you walk by, that thing grabbed and then coiled its body on you, still didn't hurt that bad, but it is spooky, it died very shortly after the attitude shift, it was the most bizarre thing ever, i think it had inbred problems though.

anyway, if you get the snake small, try to work with it as much as possible (a few hours a week) small snakes = small bites, if you avoid it untill it gets bigger, its going to be harder to tame, and more intimidating. the hardest part is pulling them out of the cage, to do this with a flighty or bitey one, take a cloth or a hat and drop it on the snake's head, it should start to calm down, pull it out of the cage with the rag still in place and then slowly remove the hat/cloth, usually they calm down once out of the cage, just keep your guard up, and try not to flinch if it hits you, you can both injure yourself more and throw the poor thing across the room, if it latches on, let it let go of you, don't try to pry it off, if you must, spray it in the face with water or vinegar and it should let go. i would much rather get bit by a snake than a gerbil, its not bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back