snake coloration

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orbproductions

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if the color of your snake will change, based on the environment it lives in? Is this possible. Eg, say if you have heaps of green/bright items in your enclosure, will it adapt to it and say after a few shed, shed like a brighter coloration?

i have a 10mth md

i doubt it, colour changes and body adaptations happen in a group of organisms over many generations. Tis all about survival of the fittest =) maybe if your md has a bit of chameleon in it then itll change =)

yeh my MD has awesome colours btw. each shed it seems to be getting a little brighter i think. haha.

Most snakes go through quite a bit of colour change from hatchlings to adult-hood, a good example in pythons would be Darwins or GTP's, but it is not influenced by anything other than genetics. nothing you can do to make its colour a bit different.
Although I have read in a book that Demansia psammophis have been witnessed going through an intense colour change over a period of about 5 minutes, but thats an elapid. Cant remember the detail but I think it was that bright red they have on them just dissapearing to the colour most Yellow-Faced Whips are down south. I cant remeber what caused this colour change, may have been mood or surroundings.Just thought id include that bit of interesting info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back